• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vise with either a shock rod/shaft or brass Jaws, local to yorba linda?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pull the ends off my 7100's and dont have the means to hold the shock shaft without damage.

Anyone local to Yorba linda have a well mounted vise with brass or shaft jaws??

looking to do this either this next weekend or during the week next week after work. only take me about a hour...

Thanks
Robert
[email protected]

Hey Robert, If you plan on doing it more than once I got my set at mcmaster carr, overnight shipping, they are aluminum w/magnets to hold to vise made by wilton.
good luck

If you find something you're comfortable holding it with, I've got the vise not too far from you (YL/Placentia border). I just don't have any rubbers for it. ;-)

Robert, I used two hockey pucks and a large vice and that worked. Try something like that?
KH

did that work for bilstien shafts and removing a rod end??

I got a 5" vise today and I can not hold teh shafts even without anything on the jaws, just plain stead on the shafts. Those shafts are tough! not a mark on em after all the tightening and turning in the vise..

I NEED help..

Anyone??

Just talked to a friend at Bilstein.

That rod end is on with a bunch of locktight, they use a big old 10k press to get them off.

You can put the Heim end in a vice instead of the shaft and pull the valving nut. Just use locktite to put it back on.

What are you trying to get done? You can replace the seal pack from the valving end but you need a sleeve to get it over without screwing it up.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/7100_Rebuild.pdf

619-846-2771

KH

Last edited:
I just need the shaft hiem removed and slide on a new dust cap and jounce then back on. Just need a vise like they did and then clamp the shaft and cresent wrnch the rod end off then locktite it back on. Got it handled tomorrow but scott I think.

I would not recommend this when the shock is still assembled... Oh and his shocks were done last night.. So issue resolved..

Glad to hear this worked out. It dosent take a ton of heat to break the loctite bond and as long as you heat the rod end and arent torching the shock body or rod guide it wont hurt the shock.

joel @ Bilstein

Back