NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 10th, 2019, 12:47
NAXJA Forum User

Cheap 98 daily driver build

Hey everyone this is my first post in the forum. I have been looking for a local XJ that met my requirements and price range over the last year. I was pretty picky and work weird hours hence why it took so long to find one. I finally stumbled upon one that I thought was a good deal and went and looked at it. It has its issues but for the price I thought it was worth it. I ended up buying a black 98 sport with 138k miles. It was filthy inside and out and definitely needs TLC. I got it for $850 and drove it home.

The first things I have to address is the notorious water leak. When I looked at it there was water standing in the passenger floor board. I peeled the carpet back after getting water out prior to buying it and it didnt look rusted through. It has a donut due to a tire blowing out so it needs a tire. The exhaust was cut off just behind the transfer case bracket. And I have to pull all of the interior and carpet out and super clean EVERYTHING cause it is nasty and smells like mildew. I plan on leaving the carpet ok it and bedlining the floors after repairing whatever rust damage I find. I will also service all fluids and do a full tune up on it.

My plans for the jeep are a 3" lift with 31" tires with bumpers, roof rack, etc. This is my first jeep and am looking forward to having something to tinker with again. This will be a slow build due to not having a time constraint and not having lots of funds to dump into it. This forum has already been super helpful in letting me k ow what to expect and look out for when I was buying this jeep and I look forward to talking with yall. Here it is the day I brought her home and cleaned her up a little.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old February 10th, 2019, 13:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Cheap 98 daily driver build

$850 and 138K? I am thinking you did really well.

With my '00 the leak was coming from the windshield. Dripping out just to the left of the passenger side visor. A remove and replace of the windshield took care of that. Got lucky though. Did not know what we were going to find when my glass guy did it.
Get a buddy and a water hose.

You might want to Google around about not putting the carpet back in. I read how guys can say it can be loud, heat off the tranny tunnel a little excessive, etc.
Old February 10th, 2019, 14:33
NAXJA Member

If you're going to daily drive it put the carpet back in. You'll thank yourself later when your ears aren't ringing and your shoes aren't melting to the floorboard.

If you want to combat future rust problems, clean up the floors and hit any questionable areas with a wire brush, then put down a good coat of paint before the carpet goes back in. Or POR15 if you want to go nuclear option on it.
Old February 10th, 2019, 14:43
NAXJA Member

Welcome and congratulations on your new jeep! Did they keep the downstream 02 sensor on or was it cut off with the rest?
Old February 10th, 2019, 19:39
NAXJA Member #1310

Pull the seats and console, remove the one piece carpet and haul it to a DIY car wash or use a pressure cleaner and a lot degreaser on it.
They usually clean up well and will smell a lot better.
Unless you are building an off road only toy, put the carpet back in for all the reasons already mentioned.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:03
NAXJA Forum Addict

Welcome!

I had a water leak issue on my 98 as well. It was a clogged drain line on the a/c causing the carpet to get wet.

I see you're in Texas, come say hi in the Red River Chapter forum as well.
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:14
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it! I may try it without carpet first for a little bit and will probably just end up buying new front carpet online due to really not wanting to mess with the nasty thing. Found some online at a pretty decent price and I will only do the front and leave the back bedlined.

I took a picture of where the exhaust was cut off. Not sure where the 02 sensor is supposed to be, but I didnt see one so it's probably gone. Not sure why people feel the need to cut the pipe instead of just disconnecting it at the flange. Makes my life much harder.

Got a chance to pull everything out of the inside and pulled the carpet. Sanded on the major rust spots with a wire brush some and hole started to appear in the front driver's floor pan and a few in the passenger. Everywhere else looks fine. Went ahead and ordered a driver's floor pan and am trying to decide whether to patch the passenger or just get one for it too. Got some pics of it as well.

Yah I had already ordered chasis saver. I have used it in the past and liked it more than por-15. Also got the bedliner as well.

As for the leak, it is going to have to wait until I get the floors situation finished first. I will get my wife to use the water hose to target the common problem areas to attempt to figure out where it is coming from when I get to that.

Yah I am located right outside of Tyler, TX in East Texas. Will definitely be looking into meeting up with some local guys once she I'd up and going good. Thanks again!

Old February 11th, 2019, 14:57
Jeepoholic

Welcome!

I'd suggest lizard skin vs the bedliner route.

https://www.lizardskin.com/

It will give you some sound deadening and also helps with the heat. Most everyone that takes out carpet and drives more than on a trail regrets it. Check out DutchVdub on here. He put the lizard skin in his rig.
Old February 11th, 2019, 21:56
NAXJA Forum User

Leave the rust holes for the water to drain out. :-)
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:28
NAXJA Member

Those passenger side flooboard hole should br able to be epoxied or siliconed no problem

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old February 12th, 2019, 14:05
NAXJA Member

I wouldn’t put a new floor pan in with that little of damage

I’m thinking of using fiberglass and using the chassis saver as the resin

There is a post somewhere here where that was done with por15 — seemed to work great
Old February 12th, 2019, 16:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I wouldn’t put a new floor pan in with that little of damage

I’m thinking of using fiberglass and using the chassis saver as the resin

There is a post somewhere here where that was done with por15 — seemed to work great
There is more than this picture shows. There are pin holes com ok ng through on both sides along with the big hole and I am not done hitting it with the wire wheel yet. I figured it would be just as easy to just throw in a new floor pan and not have to worry about ok it its integrity.

Old February 12th, 2019, 22:34
NAXJA Forum User

There is more damage than what can be seen in this picture. There are pin holes on both sides and I havent finished sanding it with the wire wheel yet. I figured it would be worth it to just throw a new pan in there and not have to worry about it.

Old February 16th, 2019, 05:32
NAXJA Forum User

Hey Cowboy! I'm in Tyler as well, welcome. Definitely check out the Red River chapter like John (Islander) mentioned!
Also shoot me a msg if you need another set of hands on the Jeep.

I think you made a great buy on it. Once you get a few things sorted out, great rig to build. Jealous of those low miles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old February 16th, 2019, 14:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Hey Cowboy! I'm in Tyler as well, welcome. Definitely check out the Red River chapter like John (Islander) mentioned!
Also shoot me a msg if you need another set of hands on the Jeep.

I think you made a great buy on it. Once you get a few things sorted out, great rig to build. Jealous of those low miles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Awesome man good to know! I may hit you up later on if I have any questions!