• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilover rear

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
I have about 10 inches of lift in the front and a little less in the back on my 88 with a D44 rear. I was going to do a larger leaf pack and eliminate the blocks but then i thought why spend so much for so little flex. Has anyone done a coilover rear (I do remember seeing a grey one on here) and can, and should I do a coilover rear only since I am more than happy with the kit I have in the front. Im looking to achieve about 11 inches of lift, but will the "frame" be able to hold up with so much flex? Where do I get rear coilovers that will achieve that amount of lift? About how much should i be looking to spend? and will my 35's travel ok in the wheel wells, meaning will i get stuck up on that piece of overhang on the inner part of the rear wheel wells? Also where do i get these coilovers? Is the conversion fairly easy? What should I do about the mounting for it? Does anyone have pics? Sorry for so many ?'s but this is a big step considering this is my daily driver too. Oh and how will it handle on the highway? Thanks for any responses

xjrugger said:
I have about 10 inches of lift in the front and a little less in the back on my 88 with a D44 rear. I was going to do a larger leaf pack and eliminate the blocks but then i thought why spend so much for so little flex.

Leaf springs are pretty cheap, plus it's very easy to build your own leaf pack from a variety of used spring packs. A search should give you some pretty complete info about doing that. A well done leaf spring can give all the flex you need. Off the shelf springs for Jeepspeed can give up to 14" of travel.

Has anyone done a coilover rear (I do remember seeing a grey one on here) and can, and should I do a coilover rear only since I am more than happy with the kit I have in the front. Im looking to achieve about 11 inches of lift, but will the "frame" be able to hold up with so much flex?

Yes, it's been done a few times. Why do you need 10/11" of lift with 35" tires? There are people running 35's with 5" of lift and they have very capable, good performing rigs.

Where do I get rear coilovers that will achieve that amount of lift?

Don't understand why you have to ask that, they're available from a lot of places.......a simple search would bring up tons of info.

About how much should i be looking to spend?

$1000 plus, unless you're lucky enough to come across a screaming deal. Plus the cost of the suspension links you'll need.

and will my 35's travel ok in the wheel wells, meaning will i get stuck up on that piece of overhang on the inner part of the rear wheel wells?

What.....with 11" of lift?

Is the conversion fairly easy? What should I do about the mounting for it?

No, it's not easy at all. It is a pretty complicated bit of fabrication. You'll need to design and build a link suspension, and figure out how to mount the coilovers up through the floor. Do a quick search on link suspensions and you'll get an idea of what you're up against.

Sorry for so many ?'s but this is a big step considering this is my daily driver too. Oh and how will it handle on the highway? Thanks for any responses

Have never done it, but have friends who have, and have heard from others who have done it on other types of rigs. Coilovers tend to be leany. It could be difficult and time consuming to tune it to also drive well on the street. Oh, but you want 11" of lift......so I don't know what handling well on the highway means to you. :)

Richard, you make it sound so complicated!

URF makes a bolt on kit. No fabrication, no welding, 30" of travel, 0-14" of lift, better clearance, handling, flex, and ride than stock.

All for less than $500 shipped to your door.

Buy now and I'll throw in a free Mary Kay gift with your order. ;)

CRASH
URF CEO, Chief Engineer, marketing guru.

CRASH said:

URF makes a bolt on kit. No fabrication, no welding, 30" of travel, 0-14" of lift, better clearance, handling, flex, and ride than stock.

CRASH

how much shipped to 60609?

simple response....

coil overs are cool, I've seen them work well on one tons scrap-heap.....

leaf springs in a 1/4 elip set-up can be made to work very well, takes more hands-on trial-and-error to get the rates and ride height correct than the initial design, engineering, and fabrication process......I messed with mine for many hours, and i think i just got lucky.....I have 14" shocks and they are most definitly the limiting factor. I'm not sure I could benefit from any more travel than that.

last thought is merely an opinion: NO JEEPER *NEEDS* 11" of lift.

Beezil said:
last thought is merely an opinion: NO JEEPER *NEEDS* 11" of lift.

Exactly. 11" is monstrous. I used to run 35's on 5" without trouble.

Free your inner sawzall.

CRASH

I say 11 inches b/c right now i sag a touch in the rear and i dont know if coilovers will lose a bit of boost over time. Also, i have 8 in skyjacker coils with 2 inch spacers in the front and yet it is barely taller than the 8.5 i have in the rear. Are skyjacker 8 inch coils really 8 inches, or are they a little shy???? And as for highway I consider it not bad up to 75. Im designing a mount for my axle to level my drag link even. I did an over the knuckle steering conversion with larger tubing a long time ago but after i went taller over two years ago i have been dealing with the angle the drag link is at. If i straighten it out, will it make a big difference. The Jeep handles fine other than the fact that i could sneeze and turn the steering wheel. Anyway, I want the most flex out of the rear while handling better, if possible, and not twisiting up the "frame". After pricing custom leaf packs i figured what the F' i might as well dig a little further into the wallet and do a coil over conv.

I did cut the fenders and right now completely clear the 35's, but eventually i plan 37 x 12.50's so i was looking to get an extra inch from the back while flexing more. Also whats better tri-link or four link with coilover? And where do I get that bolt on conv. you talk about Crash.

and we're saying 11' is a bad idea.....

we *used* to lift to clear tires.....and had to deal with all the bad shit lifting a vehicle beyond a certain point causes.....

experience has taught that lifting for a little more ground clearance and cutting and trimming for tire clearance is a much better deal all-around.....

if it means anything to ya......I'm running 37's with about 7" of lift.

too much lift sucks and is unecessary and causes problems.

CRASH said:

CRASH

What all is included in the bolt on coilover kit? Does this work to convert the rear xj leaf susp to rear coilovers? How about the front susp. Does a long arm kit work good up front and a rear coilover? I really want that free Mary Kay kit for my wife. :roflmao:
Do you have any web link to URF? How off the ground is this co? Does Sean work there as well? He told me you guys commute to work everyday. He spent 5-1/2 hrs with me welding up the ORGS rock rail knockoffs on my xj and they look great. The previous owner of my xj had a little to much fun on the rubicon without sliders and my passenger side pinch seam was in bad shape. Sean is a really nice guy to spend all that time on my vehicle when he still has so much to do on his and still have time for his wife and kid(s).
Troy

take the spacers out and level the rear with some shackles. cut the fenders to clear what gets in the way of 37s. and, right-sized bumpstops are your friends.

59301.jpg

bolt in place of your shocks - coilover conversion.

Beezil said:
and we're saying 11' is a bad idea.....

we *used* to lift to clear tires.....and had to deal with all the bad shit lifting a vehicle beyond a certain point causes.....

experience has taught that lifting for a little more ground clearance and cutting and trimming for tire clearance is a much better deal all-around.....

if it means anything to ya......I'm running 37's with about 7" of lift.

too much lift sucks and is unecessary and causes problems.

Agreed keep your center of gravity as low as possible and lift only as much as needed to clear your tires. Where do you find the trails to use that extreme rig Beezil. I've been down to the Badlands a few times and know there is some more extreme trails, but yours is set up for extreme professional competition. Have you been to the park in Rockport? Is it any good? Do you go to Moab, Tellico, etc? Have you ever been out to Cali and done the Rubicon, Johnson Valley etc. Just wondering. I know you must really stand out in Chicago with your rig, they don't build too many like that in that part of the country. :laugh:
Troy

dennisuello said:
59301.jpg

What do you do with your rear leaf springs, toss them? What kind of link system is required? Is this a full kit or just 1 of the many pieces that need to go along with much fab and endless testing?

I hope no body is taking the URF talk seriously. :gee:
I cant see any reason for needing that much lift to clear 35's. With my TJ flares and 6" of lift my buddies 35" bfgs fit fine and I ran a few trails with them. I plan on running my 36'' TSL radials with my full widths and they add about 1" just because of the thicker tubes. Plus an afternoon with the cut off wheel is a lot cheaper than a set of coil overs.

dennisuello said:
59301.jpg

Hmm...seems to me the shock mounts are nowhere near strong enough for that sillyness...

I agree with the others though, lift low, trim high.

CW said:

I'm troubled by your lack of faith in our fine products.

CRASH

CW said:
I cant see any reason for needing that much lift to clear 35's. With my TJ flares and 6" of lift my buddies 35" bfgs fit fine and I ran a few trails with them. I plan on running my 36'' TSL radials with my full widths and they add about 1" just because of the thicker tubes. Plus an afternoon with the cut off wheel is a lot cheaper than a set of coil overs.

I'm not advocating lifting to 11-14" or so. I have about 7" of lift on 35" mtrs and wanted to know how hard it would be to do rear/front coilovers? Then Crash brought up the URF were only $500 etc etc. I was wondering what this kit included and how easy/hard of an install I was up against. I have been looking to go with front long arms in the future.
Troy

steinjeep said:
Agreed keep your center of gravity as low as possible and lift only as much as needed to clear your tires. Where do you find the trails to use that extreme rig Beezil. I've been down to the Badlands a few times and know there is some more extreme trails, but yours is set up for extreme professional competition. Have you been to the park in Rockport? Is it any good? Do you go to Moab, Tellico, etc? Have you ever been out to Cali and done the Rubicon, Johnson Valley etc. Just wondering. I know you must really stand out in Chicago with your rig, they don't build too many like that in that part of the country. :laugh:
Troy

My rig and I would get spanked in competition, I appreciate the compliment, but I'm sure my asshole friends would be more than happy to offer thier opinions on the matter, as it concerns the driver.

the only time the jeep is available for viewing in chicago, is when its on the trailer either heading for moab, or attica, and hopefully this fall, JV...No, I don't drive around the chicago streets in a modified rig, there's no need. Never been to rockport, would love to check out a new place. If you get there first please post about it.

CRASH said:
I'm troubled by your lack of faith in our fine products.

CRASH

This "Lack of Faith" comes from the pink color of the URF suspension components. Rumor has it that these are Skyjacker rejects, left in the sun for an extended period to fade.

Back