• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new project time

Halewud

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya all, Im new to the boards here but when I came across this source of info I thought Id best tap it. I currently have a Toyota Tacoma as my daily driver and a Jeep TJ as my play toy. Due to a change in jobs im thinking of selling both these and just getting an XJ to do both jobs.

What I was wondering if you could help me with is some direction for my new project. This will be my 10th jeep so I know enough to avoid the D35, I was wondering if the 8.25 came with ABS or what years came with a D44 and ABS?

As far as the suspension goes the 6" full traction looks good but I think for my style of off roading that might be a bit high. Id like to run 33" tires and a smaller lift to keep my center of gravity lower and have the best ride I can. My initial though is 4.5 RE extreme ride kit and do Bushwacker flares to make them fit, but am open to your experince. Im not overly concerned about extreme flex, Ill run ARBs to take care of the traction I loose by minamizing my articulation.

I do want to have a winch bumper on front and tire carrier on back so with the added weight will I need more lift then am planning?

Id also like to be able to park in my garage, do you guys with the 6" of lift and 33s still use yours?

Please post any comments on things I definitaly need to do or should avoid, Id much rather learn from your experience then be posting a HELP question in a month.....Thank you

look here for the options over the years:

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/CherokeeHistory.html

ABS will *Always* havea d35
the D44 is rumored to be found under the 87-89 cherokee with the towing package, but few not in the 87 have ever been found. check www.car-part.com for listings.

The Crysler 8.25 is a solid rear end that had 2 different spline counts over the years.
pre 96? had the smaller shafted 27 spline and post 96? had the 29 spline rear ends.

also there were some vacuum disco front axles and some that were locked in all the time. find what you want...

click here to see what is possible with low lifh height:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37007&highlight=low+large

oh yeah, and the worst idea i ever had was selling my DD and expecting my cherokee to run all the time. If i wasnt such a dufis, it might have worked, but now i end up paying more for parts because i need them to get to work than i would if i could shop around...

-Ranger

Make sure to check in with the Colorado Forum. Good bunch of guys and the best way to see what you want is to see what others have done and their comments. Lots of local rigs to take a look at.

Dan, XJ_ranger said it in a very Yoda-like way, but if the D44 is rare it's even more rare to find them in the 88 or 89, no matter how much people say they are in 87-89 XJs.

Back