NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:44
NAXJA Forum User

2001 XJ - replace horn switch?

Well, after pounding on my horn for 5 years it finally quit. I think the switch is broken because it feels a little different when it's depressed. The horns still work as I can hear them when I lock the Jeep with the remote.

What I'd like to know is if replacing the switch is job I can do myself and what it entails. It might be important to note here that also the cruise control became non-functional about a year or so ago. I don't know if they are related in anyway. I'm also concerned that the airbag may be an issue when trying to replace the horn switch.

Any info would be appreciated!
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:08
NAXJA Member #1255

Re: 2001 XJ - replace horn switch?

Your horn and cruise control switches are connected through the clockspring, which might be the problem.
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:53
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for your reply Thayer.

Do you know if changing the clockspring or horn switch involve replacing the air bag? Is it a job I can do myself or should I employ a professional?
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:23
Gone but not forgotten...

Is your airbag warning light on? That is one of the symptoms of a broken clock spring. The horn button may be part of the airbag.

I replaced my clock spring. It is not too tough. You will need the procedure to make sure the spring and steering are indexed correctly before assembly.

Get a Factory Service Manual. It will pay for itself in the labor cost savings for this one job.

Part of the procedure is to disconnect the battery for like a half hour to discharge the airbag control before you mess with it. Otherwise, you could be surprised with a broken nose. The airbag unplugs and comes out as a unit.

You will also need a steering wheel puller. I just bought one at Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks. The clock spring replacement took me about 2 hours. I could do another one in 45 minutes.

I found the OEM part for half of list price at http://www.jeepsareus.com/. Check their ebay auctions. I have found stuff at buy it now prices there for 20 bucks less than their web catalog.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

Mofo thanks for the info - much appreciated! What year is your XJ?

No, the airbag light isn't on. I do have a 2000 service manual but haven't checked it yet. I'll find out if the horn switch is part of the airbag in which case if it is then it sounds like the airbag will have to be replaced with the horn switch, which was part of my orignal question.

Very good advice about the battery!

I'm aware of those online stores and have used each one of those before but thanks anyway!

I have to take a close look at this project and decide whether I want to do it myself. Thanks so much for your help!
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:06
NAXJA Member #1255

Yeah, good point about the airbag light. It might not be the clockspring that's busted. Maybe just a dirty contact/connector somewhere. In any case, I was just flipping through the FSM and it says the horn switch is part of the air bag trim cover, so you just have to get a new cover and not a whole new airbag. I also have a brand new clock spring (listed in the sale section too) from jeepsrus if you need it. I got it by accident and didn't need it, so I'll let it go for cheap.