• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Made in China

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Below is the Email response I got from Chrysler Canada about importing a Beijing Jeep and related parts, I thought I would share this with you to see what you think, or if anyone wants to look into this furthur. I emailed them about the new Liberty and why they should not have cancelled the XJ platform, here is what Chrysler wrote to me, and my original email at the bottom.

Dear Mr. Corradetti:

We have received your email of April 8, 2004.

Automobile manufacturers commonly alter vehicle design features or
equipment options with each passing model year. Most often, these
changes are in response to either customer demand or factors affecting
material availability. We appreciate your comments and have noted them
for future product development.

For more information regarding the parts you are seeking; please

China Chrysler International
Jing Guan Centre, Suite 2604
Hu Jia Lou, Chao Yang District
Beijing, China 100020

Telephone: 8610-6501-2894
Fax: 8610-6501-4595

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Laurie Whitesell

Customer Service Manager
DaimlerChrysler Canadian Customer Assistance Center

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Form Selected:
--------------
Customer Type: Owner
Category: Other
Sub Category:
Brief Description:
------------------
Locating Parts From Overseas
Comments:
---------
I was on the Beijing Jeep Web Site and came accross the Jeep 2500 Model,
During the 1984-2001 Model years, DC Former Chrysler Corp/AMC sold that
model under the Cherokee name plate.

I understand that the XJ is still
being produced overseas in China, with a very impressive updated front
end. I would have loved to see that improvement made to our Jeep
Cherokee.
before DC cancellation of that platform here in the NorthAmerican
Market.

I would like to ask DC on the implecations of ordering a front
clip for my Cherokee, what is the contact for the reps in China, and how
to
go about ordering parts for mine?

I would like to also say that the XJ
is a very well liked product that had staying power in a very volitile
market, here in North America, its is the only American Product that
could
compete for 2 decades on a unchanged 1980's technology, I would very
much
like to import one, but for now would like just to get the front clip
(Hood, front fenders, Grill, Lights bumper, hardware etc...) I am sure
that if DC brought a couple over here for veiwing at dealerships, they
would be pleasntly surprised at the positive response that update would
have made.

Thanks for your time, Jeff Corradetti

G.Q. Jeeper said:
I thought I would share this with you to see what you think

I don't think you got very far. :canada:

While I appluad the effort...You are treading where "persons that Tell Tall Tales" have tried and failed.

Not gonna happen.

No Way.

No How.

BUT....If ya wanna practice, go to Mexico and buy a new(er) (since those are killed off too now) air cooled bug. Try to legaly get it in the states and licensed. Once you figgure out all of the EPA and DOT stuff, and how costly it is...... *then* think about the China XJ.

IMHO, XJ's are a dime a dozen. Ask Eagle.... heck, there is a thread around here about some guy wanting to ask him if he will sell one. Shoot...I have a complete (minus working engine and 1 fender) XJ laying around for .. nothing. They are everywhere.

On the good news front.... DC may be finally bring back the diesels to the Jeep line. :dunno:
Glenn

i applaud your efforts :cheers: ,the knuckleheads at dc are not going to listen :speepin: .these corp.need to listen to the real owners of these vehicles and not do surveys.i can not understand :dunno: why dc wanted to compete with the rag4 and all the other"cute utes".i hate that name"sport utility vehicle"..bring back the ole xj!!!!

Well I know where you are coming from, but I am in Canada, and here we have are own Import Laws, much different from the US's. I checked with Transport Canada, and that XJ is permissable in Canada!, now getting one here is the problem, it mostly has to do with $$, like anything else, that is why I am investigating on buying a 1999+ newer XJ here and exporting the parts here, its just a front end treatment for the most part, (save the tail lights, door handles and wipers). I am going to give it a shot, plus I personally know our Federal Transportation Minister, so I will go and see what resources they may have to help me, like contacting someone at the Canadian Embassy to go and buy the parts and have them shipped here or something, well its not gonna happen overnight, so I will just see where this goes....

Jeff

BTW...

DC is split up into 3 different entities, DC US, DC Canada, DC International, all are operated by DC, but are seperate from each other, plus being in Canada, we do not have the DOT or EPA, we have the Ministry of Tranportation, and thats it.

Jeff

Beijing Jeep is not part of DaimlerChrysler. DCX owns a piece of the action, but the majority is owned by the Chinese. Dunno if DCX would have set it up that way, but the deal goes back to AMC days.

I got as far as initiating a direct e-mail correspondence with the international sales manager for Beijing Jeep, who assured me that their agreement with DCX allows them to sell their Jeeps anywhere in the world. While we were discussing pricing and shipping details, his e-mail link went south and I have never been able to re-establish communication. (This was more than a year ago, and to be honest I haven't tried very hard recently because other matters have taken higher priority).

The BJ Cherokees do have airbags, do have side beams in the doors, and do use a catalytic converter. Whether or not these items meet U.S. spec is what I was attemting to find out when the correspondence ceased.

I would still like to see them brought in. I don't partcularly care for their new nose design, but the stretched chassis and body provides more rear legroom and would make for a unique XJ. If I could get one (or two or three) here, I could always convert the nose to either of the U.S. styles.

So whats the difference between the Jeep 2500 and the Super Cherokee? Other than the Fugly front end. The Super Cherokee BJ2021A6L appears to be very similar to my Country edition Cherokee, except for the roof design. That would be great if someone could figure out a way to import them. Hell, it could be worth the time and effort. It could be profitable, you never know.

Atl XJ said:
So whats the difference between the Jeep 2500 and the Super Cherokee? Other than the Fugly front end. The Super Cherokee BJ2021A6L appears to be very similar to my Country edition Cherokee, except for the roof design. That would be great if someone could figure out a way to import them. Hell, it could be worth the time and effort. It could be profitable, you never know.

The Super Cherokee is stretched about 4", with the added space going to rear passenger leg room.

Eagle said:
The Super Cherokee is stretched about 4", with the added space going to rear passenger leg room.

Are the Chinese doing a 2 door model, do you know?

FWIW, if you really want the additional rear leg room and the "bubble" roof - go to a muscle car or hot rod shop that deals in chopping, channelling, etc. to get it done.

It will be way cheaper than importing a Chinese Jeep.

Just import the front clip (I agree with a poster above though, I think it is pretty fugly :) ).

Btw, don't get too excited about importing a Chinese Jeep as a one off - I investigated this to bring in a diesel long wheelbase Samurai into Canada from Germany. Couldn't be done - can't see this Chinese Jeep being any different.

If you know Vallarie[sp?] personally go for it - Liberal cronyism and/or nepotism goes a long way in this country. :)

r@m

Hey Bro

I was with Tony Valeri today, he loves the XJ and he drives one too!! YA!, to all of you guys who do not know Tony Valeri, he is our Federal Transport Minister for Canada, and I work for him, he is also looking for a new XJ as well, and I will go with him to look at a few of them when he decides to buy one.

I am going to sit down with the ministry and see what I can work out as well, I thought going to ask DC Canada first and then going the political route, I do like the front end of the new XJ and want mine to look like it as well, who knows maybe I will ask him to ask DC of China to set up an assembly plant here to make the XJ...lol, jk would be nice though, if we could get a few into Canada, importing them to the US would be a pice of cake!!!

Jeff

G.Q. Jeeper said:
I am going to sit down with the ministry and see what I can work out as well, I thought going to ask DC Canada first and then going the political route, I do like the front end of the new XJ and want mine to look like it as well, who knows maybe I will ask him to ask DC of China to set up an assembly plant here to make the XJ...lol, jk would be nice though, if we could get a few into Canada, importing them to the US would be a pice of cake!!!

Did you not read my post?

The Chinese XJ is made by Beijing Jeep. It is NOT made by "DC of China" ... which does not exist. Bejing Jeep is not a division of DaimlerChrysler. It is a Chinese company that was started up in partnership with AMC (with the controlling interest remaining in China) to manufacture Jeeps under license from AMC/Jeep. DaimlerChrysler inherited the arrangement when they purchased Jeep from AMC and has continued with it, but they own a minority interest in Beijing Jeep.

And if your boss wants to buy a new XJ, he'll have to start importing Beijing Jeeps, because DaimlerChrysler stopped making XJs in mid-2001. There aren't any new ones left in North or South America, unless they are still being made in Venezuela.

BTW -- I'm not certain, but I don't think the Chinese Cherokees are or were ever referred to as XJs. I think they were code-named BJs, for obvious reasons. (No, I'm not kidding.)

I totally understand bro, I read your post I was just kidding about, the DC / China importing them into Canada!!, although it would be nice and possible I guess, as with anything else....

I am going to just concentrate on getting the front clip for now and buying a 2000-01 Cherokee and going from there, if I win the lottery, then I will go over buy one and have it shipped here, end of story, money takes care of a lot of things, including this one as well....

With my luck anyways I would get one and the first day I am out, some one would back into my XJ and smashing up the new front end...lol

its all good I am looking into this, so lets see what happens...

GQ

Back