• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to XJs, trying to figure out issues

Good news always seems to come with a caveat.

Find out what the code is.

Also look into the possibility of a loose instrument cluster. I don't know the details on it, but the late models have some CEL or ABS light issue that is simply a matter of a bad connection in the dash. I think you have to pull the cluster out to deal with it.

This might give you a head start on what to search for: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non-hardcore/688074-tj-gauge-cluster-problem.html

Right? Always seems to go that way.

I bought a code scanner today and it showed P0455. According to what I’ve been reading that’s a “Large Evan Leak.”

There’s a chance it is the gas cap, but I’m really low on time to get it smogged so I haven’t had time to look into it further. With some help from a friend, we cleared the CEL and are now in the process of getting the sensors to pass. All but the o2 heater sensor and evap have passed. I need 5/6 to pass smog so I’m trying to get that o2 heater to pass. Been idling for 5, shutting off for 10, a few times over which I’ve read should get it to clear but it hasn’t done it yet.

As for the cluster, I think you definitely are onto something with it. Previous owner installed an aftermarket cluster and I’ve noticed that the RPM needle gets hung up at random spots (even with the car completely turned off). Already located a stock cluster so I’m going to pick it up and replace it here soon.

It's about mileage to, not just time!

And miles driven under certain conditions too.

It took several weeks to get mine to set enough monitors to pass smog several years back. I had disconnected the battery as a safety measure while doing some welding and that caused me to fail the first smog test. No one bothered to see if enough monitors were set before administering the test. Now I know to make them check that first.

Live an learn the hard way.

Well, we managed to pull it off! Friday was the last day I had to smog the vehicle and it passed. I used the link below to get all of the drive cycles to pass. Of course, it wasn't easy, as the first smog shop turned me down because of the K&N intake. Drove to another shop and they didn't even question it and it passed just fine.

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/downloads/chrysler/chry-imset_procedure.pdf

Looking back on it, I think that the rubber tether for the gas cap got caught in the threads of the gas cap and that's what threw the code.

I appreciate everyone's help on this stuff a lot! I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the future, but for the moment I'm going to address the last few things I know it needs and then start adding the things that I want from there.

My XJ will set off a code like yours when I fill the gas tank. I have learned to never top off the tank and maybe even slightly under fill the tank. No codes thrown when I do this.

Back