• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help reassembling Chrysler 8.25 rear axle...

This is how I make set up bearings. My first 8.25 gear set I cut pretty much every corner and had it lock up in a molten mess.

Now have a set of 30 set up and 8.25 bearings may also make a yoke for gear set up for crush sleeve style since it comes apart a million Tims setting pinion depth
95438279c2f08d45ec18b491924f487f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

This deserves to be emphasized.

There is a distinction which has been lost in the English language. Generally speaking most folks think a professional does better work than an amateur. While that can be the case, it is not the full truth. The true amateur will do better work than the professional.

There is a reason for that.

The professional is in it to make a buck. The amateur is in it for the love of it (amateur shares the same root as "amor"). The professional will cut whatever corners he can to maximize his profit. The true amateur will take the time to do the best possible job.

I will grant that the word amateur has been co-opted to include those who don't have a clue what they are doing, but just go for it anyways, but that is not the original meaning of the word.

On this site you are getting advice from those who have a passion for this particular vehicle platform, IOW, true amateurs. The "professionals" can't measure up to the true amateurs. The money is elsewhere.

As someone who does this for a living, I disagree.

As someone whos spent time around shops and had to pull teeth to get work done good work I agree to dissagree. Im more with anak on this one.

And I will not be convinced otherwise

Goood techs that care are hard to find if not often non existent.

Work with better shops.
Plenty of shops do great work, and plenty of amateurs do terrible work. It goes both ways.

To make money as a shop doing gears, it takes one thing: NO COMEBACKS.
Work with better shops! This does not mean 4wp!

Work with better shops.
Plenty of shops do great work, and plenty of amateurs do terrible work. It goes both ways.

To make money as a shop doing gears, it takes one thing: NO COMEBACKS.
Work with better shops! This does not mean 4wp!

X2.

I know in the automotive repair industry, it's sometimes harder to find good mechanics. I usually do the majority of the work on all my cars and have ever since I started driving. But I do draw the line at gear set up. I always pull the axles, take them apart, clean them up, and drop them off at a reputable shop. I always use one that specializes in axles only. (Pro Gear in San Diego)

It's not that I couldn't set up the axles, but the tools and the learning curve are more than I want to take on. Coupled with the fact that you won't know if you effed up until the axle is all assembled, installed, and ran for a while. I don't care to take that chance with my expensive parts a la Evan. But each to his own.

Part of the problem is that the majority of Jeep owners tend to be notoriously cheap, at least in my experience, and just naturally seek out the cheapest option. Sometimes it's better to pay a little bit more and get good results. Many people are locked into this notion of false economy.

As far as professionals vs amateurs, I don't agree with Anaks assessment. (I do respect Anak and his contributions to this site, however. Not a bashing whatsoever.) I think it depends greatly on the industry and the task you're trying to accomplish. Sure if you're talking about gardening/landscaping, but I don't want an amateur performing brain surgery on me. In my line of work, remodeling, I fix work butchered by the amateur homeowner countless amounts of time.

It depends on the person, their skill set, the task they are trying to do, and a number of other variables. But to say the amateur is better than the professional is not a blanket statement, IMO.

Like XCM said, find a better shop.

Plenty of shops do terrible work. It does go both ways.
When a shop bill is 12k you tend to get nit picky on where you go or if a repair is done in house on your own time and dime.

In my area there's only two mechanics id recomend and a 3rd maybe

There are professions in which there is no substitute for skills. No question about it. Rocket Science and Neurology come readily to mind.

OTOH, I bet everyone here has had that moment while working on a car when they wondered about the intelligence of the being who made "that" decision. Personally, I have no doubt the being who made "that" decison was professional, and a professional who decided the money was the first priority. Love for the resultant product never entered the equation. And I will agree with xcm that what matters is that there not be a comeback. If it is good enough that they won't hear about it then they are fine. But even at that level, how many recalls have we all witnessed?

There is a higher standard, and the one who does it for the love of it is the one most likely to achieve the highest standard.

Back