NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 11th, 2019, 11:45
NAXJA Member

Trail Head Off Road cowl intake initial startup & pics

I installed a THOR cowl intake on my 2000XJ since I have modified my inner fenders and could not use the stock air box, as well as I wanted as much cold air going to my engine as possible.

Works well with my modded inner fenders

Here is a video of the initial startup - It is definitely loud on startup, then quiets down after a min. When driving around you hear a hissing sound, but it does not seem too bad. I have a 1000 mile trip this next week, I'll tell you my thoughts about the sound, and if I even notice it, after the trip.

Initial Startup of THOR cowl intake
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:22
NAXJA Member

Re: Trail Head Off Road cowl intake initial startup & pics

Thought I would do a follow up of the THOR Intake after my 1000 mile road trip and wheeling the Rubicon. First performance. I could definitely feel the help in performance with the engine being able to suck the cooler air from the cowl vs inside the engine bay. It seemed to really help out when I was heading up long hills where the engine generates lots of heat. The engine would traditionally bog way down ( I have a heavy rig on 37's!) but with the intake it seemed to pull stronger, and the tranny did not have to kick down as soon. It seemed I was also able to maintain 70-75mph easier on the flat sections between Sacramento and Los Angeles when the outside temp was in the 100+ degrees.
That being said, it is a LOUD intake. Not only do you hear the sucking sound of the cone filter, but the actual engine noise inside the cab is substantially louder. The noise that I use to equate with really laying into the engine, was just the regular cab noise at 2200 RPM, and then when I would really lay into it, - downshifting to 3000+RPM's - it is LOUD in the cab. Since this is my wheeling rig, I gladly pay the price for the louder interior for the gain in performance. - I just turned my radio up!
Old July 18th, 2019, 19:02
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Glad it helped, the sound is tough, so subjective some barely notice and others can really hear it. details on your battery tray?
Old July 19th, 2019, 00:14
NAXJA Member

Michael, it is a custom box built by my friend Dennis. I’ll dig up some more pics and post them when I get a chance.
Old July 19th, 2019, 09:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
Michael, it is a custom box built by my friend Dennis. Ill dig up some more pics and post them when I get a chance.
Im very intrigued with that battery tray as well. What are the pros and cons of having it like that? Id imagine more room to the side?
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old July 19th, 2019, 13:12
NAXJA Member

kcox506 - I modified my inner fenders for more clearance and had to reposition the battery to make it fit. You can check out my inner fender mods here - https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1154944
Old July 21st, 2019, 15:40
NAXJA Member

Here are some pics of the battery box when we were building it.