NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 10th, 2021, 11:40
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Do frame stiffeners and a C-Rok style steering brace and it should last you a long time.

When I say 'light duty' that is obviously relative to the last rig or two I've had under my butt, but in this case when I say it i mean "not for the rocks". I want to go explore death valley and the deserts in Utah, but some of those trips can be hundreds of miles of bad dirt roads per weekend - which I want it to hold up to and still drive home, and I want it to be comfortable and not shake my teeth out.

Which is why the limited slips instead of lockers. To keep me from acknowledging my nature and destroying it.
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:00
NAXJA Forum User

At the front, I've got an Ironman4x4 steering brace and track bar mount brace along with a metal steering box spacer and JCR front tie-ins attached to some beefy bumper. At the rear, I've only installed a Curt trailer hitch using a nut strip made from 1/4" thick 2" wide U-channel.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of plating, but I guess its needed?
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:02
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Needed is relative. If you are going to be flexing it out for many years, it will extend the life of the car. Same if you're going to be doing go-fast stuff or pounding it on the rocks.

If you're just going to be cruising dirt roads, you'd get by without them - but, saying that, just pulling out of a steep driveway you will notice the difference frame stiffeners makes.
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:06
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
At the front, I've got an Ironman4x4 steering brace and track bar mount brace along with a metal steering box spacer and JCR front tie-ins attached to some beefy bumper. At the rear, I've only installed a Curt trailer hitch using a nut strip made from 1/4" thick 2" wide U-channel.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of plating, but I guess its needed?
The ironman brace does not actually address the real problem with our steering box setup, which is the frame compressing when you turn into it under load, and then expanding again breaking the steering box bolts.

To fix it, you plate the inside and outside of the frame around the box, as well as insert sleeves into the frame to stop it from compressing at all. JKS sells a weld in kit called the "SBS" but my favorite production kit for this can be welded or bolted on and comes from c-rok 4x4.

https://www.c-rok4x4.com/c-rok-onlin...-Kit-p38115458

Says for the durago box but its for stock+durango.
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
The ironman brace does not actually address the real problem with our steering box setup, which is the frame compressing when you turn into it under load, and then expanding again breaking the steering box bolts.

To fix it, you plate the inside and outside of the frame around the box, as well as insert sleeves into the frame to stop it from compressing at all. JKS sells a weld in kit called the "SBS" but my favorite production kit for this can be welded or bolted on and comes from c-rok 4x4.

https://www.c-rok4x4.com/c-rok-onlin...-Kit-p38115458

Says for the durago box but its for stock+durango.
The Ironman brace grips both the snout of the steering box and the sector shaft, so that should take care of a good fraction of the load on the vertical portion of the frame rails. With that said, my setup with the extended tie-ins is pretty close in concept to the C-ROK with the exception of the sleeves. I guess I could gin up some sleeves.
Old January 10th, 2021, 13:41
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I'm very familiar with how it works. I just think it's half of a solution.
Old January 10th, 2021, 15:18
NAXJA Member

Are those JK steering knuckles I see there? If so, what calipers and rotors will you be using?

Another great build from Cal that demands my 100% attention for titbits I could pilfer later (never mind the lack of a well fitted out shop).

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 10th, 2021, 15:43
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Are those JK steering knuckles I see there? If so, what calipers and rotors will you be using?
WJ knuckles, with WJ calipers and WJ rotors re-drilled 5x4.5 I'll be using the same Powerstop calipers we used on 4643 along with Powerstrop rotors and black magic pads (the same stuff I used on the rear 44 a few pages back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Another great build from Cal that demands my 100% attention for titbits I could pilfer later (never mind the lack of a well fitted out shop).
Don't give me too much credit here. I just spent a couple of years buying parts as I could afford it and squirreling them away, and then rambled a bunch of ideas off to Dallas to see what he can actually build for me.

Similar story to how the stroker was built. One dollar at a time and by the grace of a couple of very good friends with more skill than me.

Last edited by cal; January 10th, 2021 at 16:10.
Old January 10th, 2021, 20:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I'm very familiar with how it works. I just think it's half of a solution.
ok. I appreciate the info.
Old January 10th, 2021, 21:42
Stranger

Quote:
Thank you Cal.

Looking at that, I am thinking I should simply spring for an angle plate. Need to troll ebay for a decent old one. I need to measure the knuckles I have and see if 10" will be adequate or if I need 12". And it doesn't really have to be full height. I could make an adapter plate to attach to the angle plate and gain a couple inches that way if need be.

I can see why Dallas would fab something like that. If you have the tools to create that in short order it makes sense. Lacking the fancy tools I think it makes more sense for me to just spring for an off-the-shelf, most-of-the-way-there solution.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old January 11th, 2021, 05:14
NAXJA Forum User

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

So... Strange question. There's a lot of impressive fabricators in this thread so seems like the one to mention it in.

Has anyone used 2 wj steer knuckles (left and right hand drive knuckles) to get the tie rod up on the drag link knuckle provision? That would be some true high steer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old January 11th, 2021, 07:57
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
So... Strange question. There's a lot of impressive fabricators in this thread so seems like the one to mention it in.

Has anyone used 2 wj steer knuckles (left and right hand drive knuckles) to get the tie rod up on the drag link knuckle provision? That would be some true high steer.

People have tried it, but it does not work. The ackerman is all wrong and you end up with incredibly poor handling and always dragging one tire around corners.
Old January 11th, 2021, 07:59
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Thank you Cal.

Looking at that, I am thinking I should simply spring for an angle plate. Need to troll ebay for a decent old one. I need to measure the knuckles I have and see if 10" will be adequate or if I need 12". And it doesn't really have to be full height. I could make an adapter plate to attach to the angle plate and gain a couple inches that way if need be.

I can see why Dallas would fab something like that. If you have the tools to create that in short order it makes sense. Lacking the fancy tools I think it makes more sense for me to just spring for an off-the-shelf, most-of-the-way-there solution.

I don't have a picture that shows it, but there are 2 sets of holes in the face - one for WJ knuckles and one for XJ knuckles, timed to put the steering arms at 0*.
Old Yesterday, 21:59
NAXJA Warranty Voider

It's been one of these kinds of days.

good progress on this car though. i think dallas is getting tired of every single part not fitting and having to be custom made.
Old Today, 07:32
Stranger

That is why I prefer to receive my parts bare. Certainly not powder coated. All too often I have to grind, cut, weld or otherwise molest a new part to make it fit. Seems a shame to ruin a nice finish.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox