NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 13th, 2020, 09:11
NAXJA Member #920

Re: Parasitic Power Draw, Narrowed Down to Fuse 9 and This Shiny Thing?

RE: the intermittent gauges/instrument lights - have you given the "bulkhead" connector (under brake booster, under-dash fuse block connects to it) a really good going over for corroding/corrosion-separated wires?
Old October 14th, 2020, 10:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Parasitic Power Draw, Narrowed Down to Fuse 9 and This Shiny Thing?

The under dash fuse block is pretty corroded tbh. I pulled off the bulkhead and cleaned it really well (lots of tar-like stuff like on the terminals) but there was no change. I did narrow down the parasitic power draw in the parts Jeep to the ABS system, and the one I’m fixing doesn’t have ABS so this isn’t an issue. The harness from the parts Jeep is in really good condition so I’m just going to swap them.

On the plus side, I was able to clean out some 20 year old French fries from inside the heater box and discovered the heater core was leaking when I pulled the dash! I have a new heater core coming today. I also got gung-ho with the engine cleaner and spruced up all the grounds I could find. Oh, the joys of buying old Jeeps on Craigslist!