• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silicone or EPDM Rubber hoses?

Benthos

NAXJA Forum User
99xj

The lower radiator hose is difficult to get to and I would rather not do it again. The guys selling them say silicone hoses will last forever.

I have heard reports that the silicone hoses sometimes don't seal as well, and sometimes they don't even last as long because I don't stand up to clamps/ abrasion over time.

Is there a verdict on whether it's worth tracking down a silicone lower radiator hose as opposed to the commonly available Gates?

Mind you the original rubber one has made it over 20 years and seems soft but ok.

Hoses can deteriorate from the inside out.

Technically you are supposed to replace the spring clamps when you change the hoses because as the spring clamps age they may not have as much tension on them.

I buy the NTK O2 sensors from NAPA, but prefer the dealer hoses, clamps, and radiators.

99xj

The lower radiator hose is difficult to get to and I would rather not do it again. The guys selling them say silicone hoses will last forever.

I have heard reports that the silicone hoses sometimes don't seal as well, and sometimes they don't even last as long because I don't stand up to clamps/ abrasion over time.

I don't know about them for radiator hoses specifically, but I've used silicone rubber in a lot of other use cases and while it is quite tough to pressure based loads, it tends to tear quite dramatically when it does sustain a cut. Kind of how packing tape is very strong until it develops a tear, then splits along the perpendicular. I'm still on the original lower radiator hose on my 98, so I personally wouldn't make the change.

Well if the old hose lasted you 20 years, I suppose it comes down to cost, which hose. a plain jane cheap hose goes 20 years. Will you still have the XJ ? what if in 20 years you replace the hose, during an antifreeze change, now you got 40 years out of two regular hoses. Verses 40 years maybe out of one silicone hose. Even so, can you use the extra money on something else?

Helpful hint... Carry a spar hose, even your old hose if not totally shot can be carried under the back seat as a spare, carry screw type hose clamps, as they are usually easier to install when you dont have the right pliers for the spring clamps. You want easy for an emergency roadside repair, so carry screw clamps.

I had a lower hose blow in death valley, but I lucked out and had parts and tools. I defied death.

Helpful hint... Carry a spar hose, even your old hose if not totally shot can be carried under the back seat as a spare, carry screw type hose clamps, as they are usually easier to install when you dont have the right pliers for the spring clamps. You want easy for an emergency roadside repair, so carry screw clamps.

I had a lower hose blow in death valley, but I lucked out and had parts and tools. I defied death.

The list of spare parts I should carry continues to grow. :roll:

Back