• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Topo programs for the computer.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
If you had to buy one program to plan routes, generate waypoints and use as a general purpose map program, what would you use?

Delorme?

Topo!

What?

Yes Delorme Topo 8, I really like it.

This is going to sound weird, but: Google Earth. If you can live with having to convert its .kml/.kmz files with an external application, it actually works pretty well. There's a good selection of freeware stuff out there to do exactly that, so it may be a possibility.

I am a long time National Geographic Topo User but I just switched over to DeLorme Topo USA and Street Atlas USA, here is why.

The main reason I liked Topo was the USGS maps, that was great. The main issue I have with it is that it really looks like National Geographic is moving more toward an Internet based approach and that is just not going to work with expedition type wheeling in mind.

I got a good deal on the DeLorme software and GPS dongle so decided to give it a whirl. The main issue with the DeLorme software is it does not use the USGS maps, it uses their own maps. This is easily fixed by using their Netlink tab to download maps for a fee. I highly recommend getting an annual subscription which gives you unlimited downloads of maps and aerial imagery.

Here are the features that I really, really like about using DeLorme software:

USGS Maps: These are the same maps as Topo has although not as polished looking and only at the 1:24000 level (only level that really matters to me).
Aerial Imagery: There are a few different flavors of aerial imagery available, this is really handy for tracing out trails and such.
NOAA Nautical Charts: One day I'll have a boat!
Draw Routable Roads: This is the real cincher for me. I can draw roads on the map that are then routable in either DeLorme Topo or Street Atlas. This was I can pre-stage an entire event with routes and have my computer lead me through the entire weekend.
Compatibility: DeLorme makes it a little easier to share than Topo does.

I like that DeLorme Topo and DeLorme Street Atlas can share information well. I can set up roads in Topo using imagery and USGI maps then bring them into Street Atlas. It's easier to build a GPS route in Street Atlas so I load the custom road layers into SA, build and safe the route, then bring it over to Topo for use. I had my machine running with Topo when I was in JV last November and it got the job done very well, it would route me through trails and the big 14.1" display was nice.

The only issue I have with DeLorme software is the lack of Macintosh support, it is PC only. Topo does have a Macintosh side but it's not always on par with the PC side feature wise. I've worked around that issue by getting a PC laptop for my navigation machine.

Here it is in use!
Laptop+Mount+-+7.jpg

(The red lips looking thing are wilderness area overlays I drew on the maps.)

Any more pics of the laptop mount? I just bought a Toughbook for navigation in my XJ (the Rino just wasn't cutting it... haha) and I'm trying to figure out my options for mounting it... Just wanna see what's been done out there and how it's working.

EDIT: Just saw your album with the pics in it. What Jeniko mount is that one and why did you mod it? Also, how sturdy is it?

Last edited:
Any more pics of the laptop mount? I just bought a Toughbook for navigation in my XJ (the Rino just wasn't cutting it... haha) and I'm trying to figure out my options for mounting it... Just wanna see what's been done out there and how it's working.

I'll be posting a thread about it after I've run it a little and make a couple of changes to it, I've only had it installed since Monday.

http://www.boyandjeep.com/2010/02/15/jeniko-laptop-mount

i like delorme, much better than the national geographic ones i've used and it works great with terraserver(i know free and lame)but it has rds that havn't been used since the 60's and 70's that i like to follow.

My son is taking an arcGIS course at college so I'm starting to play with that. Dam complicated.

I would think of a netbook, seems to be there are "ruggedized" netbooks.

Cartography & GIS is my major, so yeah I get to play with all that stuff. As well as have lots of access to map databases. But since I use aerial and topo for wheeling purposes you can pretty much get that a lot of places and not worry about tossing it into arcMap, or Xmap and making something of it.

Any thoughts on a netbook in a vehicle instead of a laptop? The advantages seem huge, less of a footprint, half the cost or less if you drop one...

I don't have any Netbook experience so I can't really speak with authority but as long as the machine meets the minimum specs of your navigation programs's minimums I don't see why it wouldn't work. I am using the full size laptop because that's just what I was able to get from my surplus old stock, if it gets destroyed I don't mind.

Netbooks can be fine - I've got an Acer AspireOne that I really like, and you're right that damaging a $300 netbook is a lot less painful than if it's a $2000 MacBook Pro. They don't have a whole lot in the way of horsepower, but are perfectly usable as long as you don't push them too hard. Is there anything specific I can answer?

FWIW, I'm planning on starting in on a multipurpose computer project for trail / garage use in the next few weeks, and the model I'm most likely going with is the Asus T91. I chose this machine because of its touchscreen, which is less fiddly to work with from the driver's seat than a keyboard or touchpad. The other advantage is the selectable tablet / laptop format - being able to have it in a format that lets you set it either flat or clamshell as needed should be useful. I found a couple of seat bolt mounting arms that should work; I'm hoping that the netbook's smaller dimensions will mean it doesn't get to be too cramped in there with it in place.

Right now it's in the early planning stages. I still don't know what it's going to run in terms of the OS or applications, but the hardware in that one does everything I need. The basic requirements are that it has enough storage to hold maps, Bluetooth (for talking to GPS and OBD-II as well as getting a connection to the Internet through my phone), WiFi (Internet access in the garage), USB (controlling radio gear) and at 9" is enough screen for reasonable detail of PDFs, etc.

I did some early experimentation on this last year with a WebDT 366 I snagged from eBay. The hardware's too antiquated in that to run anything usefully-modern but it showed that the theory is at least sound, so bumping up to the netbook should be fine.

Last edited:
I really like using the National Geographic Topo! software. I like how detailed the maps are and the options it gives you for tracing routes and whatnot. The only problem is that it can be a pain to work with depending on what GPS you will be using.

I am currently trying to figure out how to get the most detailed USGS maps as an overlay on Google Earth, then transfer those images of certain regions to my Garmin Colorado 400t. It's a huge pain, but it can be done somehow. (I like the features of the Colorado vs. the Triton, but I am thinking of purchasing a Triton 500 for the ability to transfer the detailed USGS maps from Topo!)

I'm assuming a lot of you guys are using a USB GPS puck antenna? What ones have you used?

I currently use a Garmin Colorado 400t with a USB cord, but in the past I used a Garmin eTrex Vista CX with a serial cord. When I upgraded laptops and bought a Macbook a year ago, it was so modern it didn't have any serial ports and I didn't want to spend money on a serial to USB converter, so I decided maybe it was time to get a newer GPS with a color screen, more features and USB connectivity. It works great, although the particular Garmin model I have now doesn't work so well with "live tracking" features on my Nat. Geo. Topo! software. I am probably going to just buy a puck for my Macbook navigating and then use the Colorado for hiking and other things.

I have a microsoft branded thinger on a usb cord. My handheld unit also does the trick for the laptop, but If I have the my GPS with me I'd rather use that than have my laptop open.

IIRC, NAXJA has a vendor that makes GPS software for use on a notebook and their prices were very reasonable. From when I looked at their website, their interface looked pretty nice. You might try a search.

IIRC, NAXJA has a vendor that makes GPS software for use on a notebook and their prices were very reasonable. From when I looked at their website, their interface looked pretty nice. You might try a search.

Post #14.

If I hadn't already had the program and matching GPS unit when they became a sponsor I might consider. Though I do like having DOQQ's and Harbor Charts, etc.

Back