NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 18th, 2019, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

My shackle is vertical

On my 1990 XJ, with RE 5 inch lift leaf springs, my shackle is hanging vertically. I am told this should be instead at a 45 degree angle.

What are the options here, a shackle relocation kit? what about different length shackles?

I am new to these leaf springs, prior vehicles have been torsion arm or coils, except for a tiny Triumph that has a single leaf spring running across the back side to side.

Thanks
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My shackle is vertical

What shackles are you currently running? Changing the length w/o doing the relocation brackets will affect your lift height.
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:14
NAXJA Member

I had the exact issue that you’re having when I installed longer lift leaves in the back of my ‘89. I had a slightly longer than stock shackle (3/4” longer I think) and different springs than you, but a vertical shackle angle at ride-height nonetheless. The HD off-road shackle relocation bracket sorted it out.
I opted for the original design, and I was happy with the build quality and fitment. A few others here have the no-lift shackle relocation brackets, perhaps they can give you feedback on that, but the basic functions are more or less the same.
I don’t think a longer shackle by itself will change the angle significantly enough to fix your issue.
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:19
NAXJA Forum Addict

I'm running the HD off road relocation brackets as well, along with the JKS boomerang shackle. The combination of the two drastically improved my shackle angle.
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old March 19th, 2019, 13:26
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
I'm running the HD off road relocation brackets as well, along with the JKS boomerang shackle. The combination of the two drastically improved my shackle angle.
Got any pics ? I'm curious how the shackle helped the angle. Lots of people say they helped, but in reality, the angle is still the same as if it was a straight shackle.

Normally, the boomerang shackle doesn't actually improve the angle.....as it is still determined by drawing a straight line between the bolts. Shackle shape has no bearing on it.

It DOES allow the spring end of the shackle to swing up higher without contact due to the bend in the shackle giving more clearance.

The only way for a boomerang shackle to 'improve' the angle is if a straight shackle makes contact, then the bend in the boomerang would help, but if you're that close, you won't be able to drive it without also making contact.

The HD boxes are what actually help the angle and let the boomerang work better.
Old March 19th, 2019, 14:44
NAXJA Member

You have to either move the hanger box or get leaf springs with a longer rear half
Old March 20th, 2019, 08:39
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Got any pics ? I'm curious how the shackle helped the angle. Lots of people say they helped, but in reality, the angle is still the same as if it was a straight shackle.

Normally, the boomerang shackle doesn't actually improve the angle.....as it is still determined by drawing a straight line between the bolts. Shackle shape has no bearing on it.

It DOES allow the spring end of the shackle to swing up higher without contact due to the bend in the shackle giving more clearance.

The only way for a boomerang shackle to 'improve' the angle is if a straight shackle makes contact, then the bend in the boomerang would help, but if you're that close, you won't be able to drive it without also making contact.

The HD boxes are what actually help the angle and let the boomerang work better.
I'll get some pics this weekend when I'm out wheeling but my reason for going boomerang was because that's what Deaver recommends with their leafs. Prior to that I was running stock shackles in the shackle relocation boxes and my angle was insufficient.
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old March 20th, 2019, 09:35
NAXJA Forum User

As stated before "boomerangs" do not change the angle, only the shape re: aspect to the boxes.
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
I'll get some pics this weekend when I'm out wheeling but my reason for going boomerang was because that's what Deaver recommends with their leafs. Prior to that I was running stock shackles in the shackle relocation boxes and my angle was insufficient.
They probably recommend them because their leaf springs are longer and the boomerang shackle shape lets it travel farther before making contact with the body.