• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ran a 16.5 1/4 mile tonight. Boo.

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
Went to the track tonight. Did 5 runs. 16.5, 16.5, 16.5, 16.5, 16.6. At least I'm pretty consistent. Trap speed was 79 and some change every time. I did however beat a riced out Integra and a IROC z28. The z I only beat because he sat there and spun the tires for at least 5 seconds and didn't go anywhere. So anyway...my 60ft. times were all around 2.22-2.3. I was hoping for a time in the 15's, but oh well. I did this with a 99 sport 4.0, auto, 4wd, 4" lift, 235/70/16's, snorkel with k+n filter, flowmaster 50, bored throttle body and spacer, 1/4 tank of gas, and about 100 pounds of extra crap in the jeep. Oh, I found out tonight that my hub bearings are shot too. BUT...My 4.2 crank, rods, and crane cam came in tonight. Hee hee. I wonder if I should just slap the cam in before I build the stroker? Dr. Dyno...would it make a decent difference? Thanks for listening to my crap. See ya.

-Keith

Your time is pretty respectable considering that you have a lift & bigger tires.
Save the Crane cam for the stroker build-up. You'll need it there.

how much do you suppose a 4" lift has hurt me as far as times and trap speed? I've seen other guys with 2.4 60' times and 16.7 1/4 miles running at 83 mph...and I had 60' times consistantly @ 2.27 with traps at 79 and change.

kmagnuss_2000 said:
how much do you suppose a 4" lift has hurt me as far as times and trap speed?

The lift will hurt the trap speed more than the 1/4 mile ET because you've increased the frontal area of the vehicle. The 1/8 mile ET and trap speed will be more representative of the Jeep's true performance.

Stock 1988 XJ with AW4.... Constantly having stock or mild mod'd ricerz trying to race the jeep. I had 235's and just went to 225's. Either way I havent had a ricehead beat the 4.0 yet. Seems that most the people trying to race either my Jeep or TDI own an all stock ricecar or they have done some work to it. People with cars that will turn 12', 13's , etc on the street seem to hold back more... might be due to speeding tickets. hehe

Easy, he was racing a Jeep, so he wasn't "trying". I've surprised a lot of cars and bikes leaving stop lights. Sure they catch me once speeds pick up, but I can launch at 4000 rpm damn near lifting the frt. tires and leave them spinning there tires. Of course the rr. 35 doesn't have much to say about these events.

bjoehandley said:
I'd like to know how the ricer explaned to his friends how he got beat by a lifted SUV :D

I have some pics of my ol'beat up 91 beating a probe. He was dialed in at a 16.8 and i was at a 17.5..i totally took him and knocked him out of 1st round eliminations at the high school nationals....my first time ever racing haha....ill post em when i get em on my computer, you'll love em.

lining up
Picture018.jpg

Ah, me sticking it to him (the light turned green at the same time)
Picture019.jpg

sorry for picture size

SPOBI! everyone knows a probe will leave a xj in a heartbeat. he must not have been trying since he was racing a jeep :laugh3:

explorer said:
Easy, he was racing a Jeep, so he wasn't "trying". I've surprised a lot of cars and bikes leaving stop lights. Sure they catch me once speeds pick up, but I can launch at 4000 rpm damn near lifting the frt. tires and leave them spinning there tires. Of course the rr. 35 doesn't have much to say about these events.

Well hopefully his friend that was in the car with him won't let him live it down at school this week.

A while back I had a new Civic Si(exhaust intake, system and 2 little boys in the front seats...must have just got their allowance) play with me...smoked it unbelievely bad. That was my first time really racing anyone since I got my XJ. I took off and I don't think they knew what had happened. That was before I installed my FIPK.

I'll play around in a straight line, but around any sort of turns...for get it. I don't want to end up on my roof. lol I'll save the turns for my car

BTW...nice kill on the strip. I wish I lived closer to one.

Last edited:
Slammed_am said:
A while back I had a new Civic Si(exhaust intake, system and 2 little boys in the front seats...must have just got their allowance) play with me...smoked it unbelievely bad. That was my first time really racing anyone since I got my XJ. I took off and I don't think they knew what had happened. That was before I installed my FIPK.

I'll play around in a straight line, but around any sort of turns...for get it. I don't want to end up on my roof. lol I'll save the turns for my car

BTW...nice kill on the strip. I wish I lived closer to one.

Actually...

XJ's skid pad: ~0.77g (For a 2nd gen anyways)
Si's skid pad: ~0.82g

Sooooo, go nuts in the corners ;) XJs hold FAR better than you'd think! I have fun in the twisties in mine all the time, you'll induce oversteer before you'll roll...just don't do anything TOO crazy ;)

XJawgi said:
I have some pics of my ol'beat up 91 beating a probe. He was dialed in at a 16.8 and i was at a 17.5..i totally took him and knocked him out of 1st round eliminations at the high school nationals....my first time ever racing haha....ill post em when i get em on my computer, you'll love em.

Thats' bracket racing right? Don't the cars with higher dial in's leave earlier anyways? That would make more sense, or the Probie forgot what a green light means!:)

phaythe said:
Actually...
XJ's skid pad: ~0.77g (For a 2nd gen anyways)

It's the same for the '87-'96 versions as well. If you replace all the mushy rubber suspension and front/rear swaybar bushings with stiffer urethane units, and install lower profile tires, I'm sure an XJ could pull a 0.80g or better on the skidpad.

FUNKYTEE5 said:
Thats' bracket racing right? Don't the cars with higher dial in's leave earlier anyways? That would make more sense, or the Probie forgot what a green light means!:)
yea, it was bracket racing, and the light turned green at the same time for both of us....it just turns out i had like a .58something reaction time and he was asleep at the light, but he never caught me.

The SI only pulls .82?........Hell the '85 Lebaron GTS was recorded pulling .80 20 years ago, and that was just a K-car (imprecise front swaybar mounts and a beam axle with NO rear swaybar) with biggish wheels/tires and some boost!

Ramsey said:
SPOBI! everyone knows a probe will leave a xj in a heartbeat. he must not have been trying since he was racing a jeep :laugh3:

You're an idiot.

Back