NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 26th, 2004, 07:38
NAXJA Forum User

overheating issues

i have replaced the radiator with the HD radiator....still overheating on the trail....installed the 160 thermostat...still the problem persist....i will put in it an elect. fan probably outside to push air in...
how much would a hood scoop be....,maybe mount another fan in the scoop
this xj is mainly for trail use so looks dont matter.....anybody got any other ideas?
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:52
NAXJA Forum User

Re: overheating issues

This may sound strange but you need to look at your fans. Before you try to rig up some after market fan go to your local parts store and buy a new fan clutch for the mechanical fan and install it.

The talk on here is they last about 5 years and your fan clutch may be shot. Also there is no good way to test a fan clutch. So spend the $50 or so and install a new fan clutch. I think this will fix your problem.

Also make sure the electric fan is plugged in, I had a heat problem and one day looked to find I had forgot to rehook up the electric fan connector.

If the new fan clutch solves the problem then install a new mopar 195F thermostat, do not reuse your old thermostat. My local raditor shop told me one over heat to 225F can damage the thermostat and cause it to open late and close early.
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:10
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, listen to Martin and buy a new clutch for $50. Save yourself the $100's and tens of hours I spent w/new rads, t-stats, electric fans, etc. None of this solved my boiling over problems. If you're really paranoid about the clutch, you can replace it with a fixed fan spacer from quadratec which will spin the belt fan 100% of the time. You can put the factory elec fan on a toggle to make it go on before the 218* programmed time in the ECU. Unless you have some other problem, like blown head gasket or clogged radiator, this setup should allow you to run cool.
Old February 27th, 2004, 00:46
NAXJA Forum User

I cut my hood and put in 2 Hood Vents (cowls) from YJs. They run length ways close to the center of the hood, on the cab side. They were pretty cheap from a junkyard; I think I paid $10 for both with the screws and metal screens. They dropped my engine temp 10 15 degrees.
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:03
NAXJA Forum User

I highly suggest you put a new stock thermostat back in. The 160 T-stat is no good for the engine as it's not designed to run that way.
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:48
NAXJA Forum User

I've heard good things about louvers in the hood. Major temp changes.
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

Hold on a sec. Before you start buying parts that may not need to be replaced check the other threads. Open or closed system? If it's closed then the pressure is the first thing to check. Leaky orings in the pressure bottle or just plain cracked pressure bottles are your most likely problem which can be solved for $25.00 or even less if it's just the oring. More info needed.