• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start/No spark

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
I started jeep friday ran good went to start it sunday nothing cransk and cranks but no starting i tried cleaning connections everywhere fuel pump kicks on and have fuel at the rail but no spark. tried a know to work coil no change. checked all fuses and conections i could think of. what to check next????

Its an 87 4.0L 5speed 4x4 it has a MSD ignition box and a MSD coil

To own a jeep is like !!!1

Replaced CPS still no start any more ideas BESIDES!!!! CMP ????

Well, grab a NOID light and see if the injectors are firing BEFORE throwing any more parts at it.

Did you try swapping your relays around?

Yes ive tried swapping relays and ive got fuel at rail AND like i said it HAS NO SPARK!!!! Ive already checked for fuel and i can smell coming out of exaust

Yes ive tried swapping relays and ive got fuel at rail AND like i said it HAS NO SPARK!!!! Ive already checked for fuel and i can smell coming out of exaust

I'm having the same problem as you, I tried to test my CPS but couldn't get a it to test properly. I guess all throw a CPS in this week and see what happens.

You said your sure your coils good?

Yes i tested the coil by ataching a Spark plug directly to it and jumping it to the battery and it sparked the plug. Another question i have is where does the original wiring for the coil run??. i have a MSD ignition box witch i am not sure if it works or not. MSD's site said 2 ways to test it i did both and nothing. But also my factory tach isnt working. And i read tht the tach wont work if the CPS or CMP are bad. Im stumped

I dont know what gas fouled is BUT I am not getting spark threw the Dizzy to the Spark plug AND same spark plug tested fine. But isnt getting spark threw the distrubuter

If the ASD relay is bad, or is not getting a good signal, then you won't have voltage to the coil. Do you have 12v into the coil?

No BUT I have a MSD ignition so the MSD box sends power to the coil IDK how it all works BCUS the MSD box isnt hooked to the ignition switch on jeep or any of the other eletronics

The MSD makes things tougher.

Did you install it or was it pre-existing? I think the best thing for you to do is call MSD tech support and have them walk you through a test of the unit.

Unlike "normal" (old school?) tech the distributor is not triggering the ignition, unless it has been modified.

Good luck. Post back what you find out.

It was pre-existing and it worked until now. I still think it is the CMP we are trying to locate a used distrubator to swap in see if that fixes it

I just took the dizzy apart and found a small peice of magnetic material. I beleive my CMP took a crap. It is in atleast 2 peices now :(

Back