• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

I've read more on here and pirate... the consensus is longer upper is the ticket. There is some explanation about caster change and ujoint binding etc... I'm no expert so I just listen to the ones who have done it already successfully, and learn from their trials and tribulations.

Last edited:
I dunno , I've been good about not using link calculator. Separation i care about and length.

Seems mostly just fitting it is hard. No way to build off perfect calculator numbers.
I did want links the same length so pinion stays pointed at tcase. Even at that i think I've over thought it and made more work. Welding tab directly ontop of the truss it was only just barely longer than lowers.

You can see where I cheated upper on frame and axle side to be the same length. I think if I had it to do again I'd just center it on truss and burn it.

I'm short a left hand thread jam nut for him at the truss ughhh. I ordered one but its not here yet.

Hoping to give this thing a shake down soon.
051a45a8fc6719f9c7d7efcfd5f68c0b.jpg
e98af596df0b377ebcc4c348517cd526.jpg
b2762f703848cf5a1d6dd75f7468ce13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thats kind of why I like driver side upper... feel it will keep pinion angle more in check with a longer upper and well being attached to the actual pumpkin.

I think with your arms being equal, but the upper mount being slightly closer on the frame side that you achieve the same thing as a linger upper with the mounts being equal length would be.

Just send it silly!

with your shock being fully compressed I'd say your shocks are to long? At full droop you can get them to max extension??

Yes I droop them all the way out.
Will have redo mounts to run longer or bump stops i guess
Upper has beefy home now.

I think I can cut driver side factory mount off nd and run the 4 link.

Yes I started wondering about length vs actual pivot point.

I'm gonna send it for sure.
8d72475f7830056c3f8b2c37025e76d9.jpg

I made the mistake of noticing 5125s are shorter overall for stroke length than fox. I think I can fit a longer

From my research the upper should be at least among if not longer than the lowers... mine are a tad longer fwiw

that depends on where you want your pinion at flex and the turning properties with the jeep. theres advantages to a shorter upper vs lower, and longer upper vs shorter lower. I went the later, but both are effective depending what you want.

I like this jeep, youve got a cool take on making things your own evan, keep it going!

Thanks. Yes its all mine, man getting to where I want instant gratification alot of time put into it. I have no idea how its going to handle. I've read researched enough to think I know what I'm doing but am probably wrong.

After setting castor at 7 at ride height drooped out its at 5 pinion angle looks good didnt put the angle finder on it.

Lower arms ended up at 31.5 upper 32

Found some yello paint kinda butting things, exhaust probly find it doesn't clear.

There's a few trails I want to check out so hoping to be going this weekend

Double hump camel in Idaho weve got alittle bit of everything here
66d5c4640ca9f44480070ea15f8ddca9.jpg
a362be1f1585dd2e9c3d44f737ac0178.jpg
de6011b5919e575cf76a9dedcadca280.jpg

I'm very impressed with ride quality and handling.
My track bar seems to be in the oil pan more so I've fixed that problem and lso done some measuring for shocks.
16" calapsed is wht I have and where I want to stay but go Ionger to 28-30exstended.
After measuring ive found a couple more inches of droop makes a huge difference.

The coolest part about these arms is I can drop the coils early. Just by unvoting one shock end.

Finding long loweres paired with short uper is nothing compared to all 3 long rms. I wsnt terribly impressed with just long lowered.

All brake dive is gone and supringly its pretty stable thugh I do thnk id like firmer feeling shocks some bumps almost kind a flat tire feeling not sure how to explain.

My damn drive lines hitting the down pipe . Seems like I constantly battle that.

Last pics is all the shocks have I was going to order some longer ones but the sme calapsed length but remembered I had to pay bills shit. So I guess thee will work and really this isn't a rock crawler anyways
e3d0a5fef00fb86297cf794b1eacbca5.jpg
8b1764f2e5c4f5fc36b1322509dd958b.jpg
6955ba2f7bc97e7185e83f9dc3a87fcb.jpg
b16fc4a9fa4b9a640975c3e7c6e64f20.jpg
f120c62b6b0ca4ec95212229e7011b3a.jpg
25279c7ea48f39ee7a591c3f80a00e19.jpg

Welcome to the club!! Need 16”s collapsed and 30+ extended.... hard to find man

Yes 16-32 is hard to find.

Im a couple miles in now my quest is not for longer but more appropriately valved shocks
Have about 100 freeway miles on it and about that on the dirt. Im finding its mansgble on the street but hand full.
Also wondering about air bumps. Think I can easily mount them clamped inside a 2"pipe (yes pipe)
I can go fast now so have been and man the rubber bump stops are harsh.
I could do those progressive rubber bumps inside the coil , buutttt
Air bumps can be had for cheapesh are tunable for actual bump finish location aswell as how stiff they bump both in valving and nitrogen charge.

The fox gladiator front shocks are feeling soft to me sometimes real soft. I think I may just leave them and do bumps first as ill be bumping nearly all my compression travel.

Last night we went out on a trail with sand the 3.55 gears did well though I did still run 4low 2nd and 3rd hopping over sand drifts fast dragging the belly to keep from high centering. This kind of driving ive never done before normally went around these kinds of obstacles.
Bottomed out pretty harshly on the back side of a few drifts.

Also coul feel the suspension easily unloading alot not airborne kinda unloading but enough to feel disconnected from the tires on the ground. Like maybe rebound is to light but I'm not sure. Will take more talking to the shock manufacturers

Tons of fun though its not just a slow jeep any more.

Here's vid giving her a good shake down starting to think airbus will be my next move I might like going faster now.

I've bump stopped to keep track bar off oil pan. Collapsed shock length is 17 means im not quite compressing all the shock also means a 11" fox will work perfect.

Anyways I took a vid vid sounds rough but trust me its way smoother

https://youtu.be/lxPBfrNSI9I

Maybe I got bored and saw the sawzall it worked surprisingly well to remove every other lug.

I think im starting to think of bump stops as a second rate. Kinda like dual shocks I haven't measured to see if I can fit them inside the coil spring think I need about 17" maybe 15" to fit them

All for now
d8d3225fa6bb4b14ed8b7e6385e05578.jpg
4787c0d65301b913d4a7219284d170c9.jpg
e5321c95120d1a43420eee3633d467d8.jpg

I'm very impressed with ride quality and handling.
My track bar seems to be in the oil pan more so I've fixed that problem and lso done some measuring for shocks.
16" calapsed is wht I have and where I want to stay but go Ionger to 28-30exstended.
After measuring ive found a couple more inches of droop makes a huge difference.

The coolest part about these arms is I can drop the coils early. Just by unvoting one shock end.

Finding long loweres paired with short uper is nothing compared to all 3 long rms. I wsnt terribly impressed with just long lowered.

All brake dive is gone and supringly its pretty stable thugh I do thnk id like firmer feeling shocks some bumps almost kind a flat tire feeling not sure how to explain.

My damn drive lines hitting the down pipe . Seems like I constantly battle that.

Last pics is all the shocks have I was going to order some longer ones but the sme calapsed length but remembered I had to pay bills shit. So I guess thee will work and really this isn't a rock crawler anyways
e3d0a5fef00fb86297cf794b1eacbca5.jpg
8b1764f2e5c4f5fc36b1322509dd958b.jpg
6955ba2f7bc97e7185e83f9dc3a87fcb.jpg
f120c62b6b0ca4ec95212229e7011b3a.jpg
25279c7ea48f39ee7a591c3f80a00e19.jpg

Amazing result. You can open your own jeep manufactury and show worldwide providers how to build high-quality vehicles. By the way, how many years it took you to achieve the current result? And how much money have you spend?

How much money I dunno im probly in this jeep 3-4grand i doubt 5. This includes acquiring the jeep

Lots of hours. The sfr 3link kit that cost a grand is well worth the price in the hours saved

Thanks
Hundreds of hours my finished product is kinda unfinished compared to bought stuff.

Why did you cut every other lug off the tires? Looks like a lot of (stinky) work man!

Looking for a sturgeon hole i havent been to since high school
https://youtu.be/PkmuKXGIzPo

I did end up finding it. Doesnt look like any rigs have drove down in a long time. Christine and I will clear it. Pretty good fishing cat sturgeon and bass.

Its fire season. Itl likely be smoky for another couple montgs
ff161d78eb6386e2edad48ac1f595319.jpg
da8676944f7c20a90a90c78e04bc8bbf.jpg

Back