NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 9th, 2018, 07:49
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2001 Front end popping / rattle ... but not all the time.

Update2:

So after ~ 6 months of use the SFR mounts are also now causing severe NHV and it's driving me crazy!! It's possible that it could be something else causing this but right now I'm thinking about just ordering a set of OE Engine and Transmission Mounts and seeing where that gets me. The vibration is SO annoying... it's caused the upper part of my dash (over gauges) to split apart and rattles like crazy when sitting at a stop light or while idling in a parking lot. Door panels, dash panels and even my interior fuse panel popped off the other day because of the shaking and rattling. I'm wondering if something else might be the culprit but everything on my suspension and mount bolts seem tight and/or snug. Ugh... If not for the feeling of driving a giant vibrator I'd love my XJ.
Old February 10th, 2018, 16:54
NAXJA Forum User

i had a similar problem, drove me nuts for a long time, went through 2 sets of motor mounts, turned out my transmission crossmember was installed backwards.
Old February 10th, 2018, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzAMC View Post
i had a similar problem, drove me nuts for a long time, went through 2 sets of motor mounts, turned out my transmission crossmember was installed backwards.
Your transmission crossmember was backwards? How did you figure that out?? 🤔
Old February 11th, 2018, 04:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
Your transmission crossmember was backwards? How did you figure that out?? 🤔
after my 2nd set of motor mounts i called brown dog to try their set, the person i talked to on the phone suggested i look at the crossmember, there is a direction that the slots face, i cant remember off hand, but sure enough mine was in backwards. also make sure you replace your transmission mount when you do your motor mounts, if 1 mount is bad the other 2 are bad, or are going bad.

also i had an occasional popping sound in mine, turned out my front driveshaft would hit my front O2 sensor under load, fixing the crossmember fixed that as well.
Old February 11th, 2018, 12:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzAMC View Post
after my 2nd set of motor mounts i called brown dog to try their set, the person i talked to on the phone suggested i look at the crossmember, there is a direction that the slots face, i cant remember off hand, but sure enough mine was in backwards. also make sure you replace your transmission mount when you do your motor mounts, if 1 mount is bad the other 2 are bad, or are going bad.

also i had an occasional popping sound in mine, turned out my front driveshaft would hit my front O2 sensor under load, fixing the crossmember fixed that as well.
Thanks for the follow-up. I was under the impression the crossmember was pretty much the same left and right but obviously not the same top/bottom. I'll have to see if I can find some pics and compare to how mine is mounted. I'm not the original owner so could be it's been backwards since I purchased it years back.

I did replace both motor mounts and the transmission mount from SFR. High quality parts but nothing I've tried have kept the NHV at bay like genuine OE Rubber mounts. I've tried MORE Rubber, Brown Dog Rubber and now the SFR Mounts. They are all high quality but for a 99% daily driver that will never see rocks or hard offroading I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Granted the OE can and do wear out faster, but even my Brown Dog mounts wore plain out after about 3-4 years of DD'ing.