• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

calling IT Techs....

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to fix a computer for a friend. When I got it, it said SMART has found an error some shit and to back-up the HD because Failure was eminent or something (I summarized). Anyways, I figure, no prob, I will pop in a new HD and be done with it. NOOOOOOOOOO. I swapped in two other drives and it still gives me the same BS. I read on the HP website about the SMART program built into the CMOS, but I can't find a way to disable it!. Anyone know of a way around this?
specs
HP Pavillion a503w Celeron

POS, this is why I build my systems..... so I don't have this crap to put up with.

Probobly an issue with the motherboard. First however try resetting the bios and see if the HDDs are being recognised (in bios) at all.

They are being recognized in the BIOS. All three in fact (including the OG). I know what the problem is, i'm just wondering if anyone has encountered this before with the SMART utility. Doesn't seen too smart if it can't recognized a good drive when I shove it up it's......

tried pulling the battery off the motherboard yet wiating 1/2 hour and re-installing?? we used to do that at school to reset the BIOS and format and install junk...

Never overlook the obvious -- I've learned that from too many years working on PC's. It's worth changing out the IDE cable and seeing what happens.

Most clone mobo's allow the toggling of SMART detection in the CMOS/BIOS, I've found that the brand name options usually hide these features from end users and make assumptions about default settings.

speedfan

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

will actually read in the SMART errors and mayhaps also give you more information as to what is actually happening and triggering the alarm.

Also, check the mfg website for a newer CMOS/BIOS and if your feeling confident flash it. Often as machines age flaws in their characteristics appear and the mfg will make changes to their most basic level firmware to correct these issues.

hth!

Matthew

XJ_ranger said:
tried pulling the battery off the motherboard yet wiating 1/2 hour and re-installing?? we used to do that at school to reset the BIOS and format and install junk...

Eh why? Just use the bios reset jumper :)

You also may want to make sure you aren't using CS (crappy system) and you can also try what tet said and swap out the ide cable.. cant hurt right?

Aight, I got it fixed. Some dumbass installed an aftermarket DVDR and put it as "Master" on the slave channel and the old CDR on CS on the master channel. Once i ripped all the crap outta the tower and fixed it, bam. Recognized the HD, and installed windows XP fine and dandy. I hate diagnosing this kinda crap, but I LOVE getting paid 75$ for about 1.5 hours of "work"....

cable select is pointless, its just another point of failure. eliminate it. eliminate it all!!!

imma honky said:
"...fix a computer for a friend."

Don'tcha hate it when all your "friends" want to just pay you with a drink, or a "favor."

GIMME CASH MAN!!! $$$

RTicUL8 said:
Don'tcha hate it when all your "friends" want to just pay you with a drink, or a "favor."

GIMME CASH MAN!!! $$$.

Then there is the flip side, I answer occasional questions and spend an hour or two at one 'customers' house and have not had to TOUCH the snow blower at all this year. I get up in the morning and the driveway is already plowed or about to be plowed...

wow, I trade my favors for bigger stuff than that...I get contacts for some real work.

doing 'IT' stuff off-hours I've paid for most of what I have on the Jeep. Got my hitch, my snorkel, my sub, enclosure, and all the trimmings...I could go on but you get the point. It's a matter of getting to know the people who'll get you more time(and therefore money)-intensive jobs after you've done good by them.

Back