• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Continuous piston slap

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
Lately, as the weather gets hotter my jeep has been surfacing a few new problems, but this one has me most worried. 1990 cherokee laredo.

The engine has had intermittent piston slap at startup since I got it, which is normal for the 4.0l engine from what I hear. In the past few months, the piston slap at startup seems to have turned to intermittent piston slap at highway speeds, idling in town or when taking it out four wheeling.

The sound is IDENTICAL to piston slap, and increases/decreases with RPM's. Usually it'll start to happen more often after the engine has been warmed up and the oil is thinned. It's a sharp metallic tick-tick-tick sounds, which always just lasts for a few seconds on and off. Sometimes the ticking noise gets louder, other times I can't hear it unless I stick my head out the window. Sometimes it won't tick for a day or two of driving, then it'll start again--completely intermittent but lately I feel that it's more frequent than before. What could be causing this? I'm using 10w30 and have adequate oil pressure. The jeep uses around 1/2 quart of oil per change, and has plenty of power, doesn't puff blue when it's started or when running. The engine is quiet and smooth with the exception of this one noise, which drives me nuts. When it's loud, it's loud enough for people to ask me "what's wrong with your engine?!?"
The engine has just over 100k on it, and when I recently did a rear main seal on it, I checked the bearing caps and they all checked out well within factory spec. I'm worried I may have knocked the oil pump or something, but I'm still not sure that would account for the noise I'm hearing.
I'm due for an oil change soon and was thinking of switching to 10w40 for the summer months, any input?
thanks!

Back