• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lights and turn signals not working???

did you check the fuses?

PM'ed

dont be afraid to manually check the bulbs.... i had 2/3rds of my rear lights go out 'all of a sudden'.... turns out they'd all burned out and i hadnt noticed...

::shrug::

Ok so here's the specifics of my problem. The turn signals front and rear, turn signal indicators on gauge cluster and clicking noise, and brake lights stoped working at the same time. I still have tail lights, reverse lights and front parking lights. I have checked all fuses and they look good...

Oh how I hate electrical problems.

Sorry to seem basic here, just trying to help. Did you just look at the fuses while in position, did you pull each one and look at it, or did you check with a test lamp or voltmeter? Or other?

Check fuses in position with a test light on both sides of fuse. This circuit should be constant hot. If you have the owners manual go into the fuse section & it will tell you which fuse is which. Also check the hazard switch, turn it on & off see if this fixes it. I have had one where the turn signal switch was funky & had the hazard switch on & had no turn signals.

According to the Haynes Manual, 1996 had a combination flasher that serves as the turn signal flasher and as the hazard flasher. You have to remove the lower instrument panel. Once that is out, you'll see the relay center on the lower instrument panel reinforcement, to the right of the steering column. Unplug the (BLUE) combination flasher and replace it.
It sounds to me like someone was messing around under the dash in that particular area. Reason being is the brake light switch is located within the same viscinity accept on the pedal up under the dash. That is an adjustable switch, so it's possible it unadjusted. Either item is not an expensive fix, any auto parts store will have both for under $ 20.00 more then likely

There's just nothing like an electrical problem to make you feel like an idiot. I checked ALL the fuses... Except the big ones under the hood, it couldn't be one of those right? The 20 amp fuse in the 2nd position, fixed everything like majic. But i replaced the bulbs in the rear anyway while i was there. Thanks for all the help anyway.

i had kind of the same problem, flashers and brake lights didnt work some times, then did others. replace the flasher fuse, if that doesnt work look at the brake light switch on the pedal. and last but not least. look at the full wiring harness on the firewall drivers side. Mine actually rusted out that connection in there and needed to be replaced(3 cent part). fun stuff.

do you have a towing package? check those connections aswell.

Back