• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting and XJ build questions

dpnsta

NAXJA Forum User
New to a forum and was wanting some help since none of my friends have an XJ. Bought it and put a bb on it since it came with 235s. Now I have some money and want to know if I should stick to my plan to build from the bottom up or skip it and go with a lift. I could go frame stiffeners (I don't have a welder or experience) and rock sliders and new upgraded crossmember. Or just do lift and tires. My plan is to keep it low 3in full leaf lift and locked rear and plated a ton. Thanks and happy to have an XJ and be here

First question, what type of wheeling are you planning to do?

Well more trailing for now at moonlight in Sullivan Missouri a few times a month and planning trips to windrock Tennessee and idk what I'll be getting into there. Hey anyone is more than welcome to come. But wanting to build it once and right, just want to know a good starting point. Thanks

For the build it once approach do 1 tons and 40s.

but most people usually do 31s then 33s then 35s then maybe 37s.........

The question is what kind of wheeling do you WANT to do and do you have a truck and trailer or do you want to drive it to and from??????

Trailing. Not a fan of rocks. Drive it there and drive it home. Want my wife and Baby to be able to get in it in case we have to take it. I have spent countless nights researching the XJ and I hate asking questions but just want some sort of direction to take.

Then build it for 33"s and be done with it. Many people dd rigs on 33"s and wheel them.

33"s will give you the most fun/least breakage.

Hahaha I just bought a XJ with a 6.5 lift and 33s for a great deal, thought a working man caught a break so bought it and was like I can sell mine or sell the "built" one I just bought. Sold it in 2 days. PO did everything I wouldn't of did after getting it home and really giving it a look over. I'm limited in what all I can do I don't have a garage so not many tools and have to rely on others people schedule so that's why I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple. And to stuff 33s will take some work.

I took my time finding my XJ over a ago. Made sure I found a 1999 no power windows or locks. And it was bought off the line from the state of Illinois with skid package and a few other things. Took three months of looking before I found it and drove 4hrs total to get it. So I want do it right and not just slap s*** on it and call it done.

4.5" lift, 33s, bump stopped correctly, 4.56s, lockers, rock rails, good recovery points.

Yeah that will be a great setup. That's why I'm asking did you guys start with a lift and then the other stuff, or armor it up first. Like I would not put a locker in before the lift if I'm going to regear so that would be double work etc. lift would drain a lot of money just to lift it like adding the sye and and regear for way larger tires. So seeing what's more important first.

4.5" lift, 33s, bump stopped correctly, 4.56s, lockers, rock rails, good recovery points.

My pervious setup was exactly like this except I never re-geared (knew axles were going to get swapped)...

I would piece together a lift, personally
-good 4.5" long arm lift for the front
-3" leafs
-1" shackle
-HDO relocation (net 0.5")

So it seems it would be best to start with the lift. My plan WAS to mid frame stiffeners from hdo, ajsoffroad aromor rock sliders, rusty crossmember with 1in TC drop and then zone 3in full leaf lift and get track bar and lcas and then zj tie rod upgrade. And if I wanted bigger tires fender trim and throw on 32s locked and regeared. But it seems that everyone suggest a 4.5 lift and I would def have to piece together my own kit since the only really complete kit is from RC and I don't really want theirs.

Here is my recommendation, I built mine on a budget and it has done really well for me. Do a Ford 8.8 swap in the rear you can find them really easy with 4.10s and a limited slip. This will give you a good edge to start with. Then rehearsal the front for 4.10s. Do your lift and frame stiffeners. Run 31s or 33s I'd recommend 31s in the 4.10s. At the end of the day you will be surprised and happy with that choice. Plus you save your self some money.

Thanks for the advice. Stl Craigslist doesn't have much on it so I'll have to hit the junkyards. Saving money would be nice when building this and advice is much more valuable and free so I appreciate it.

Go with stiffeners first since everything is built off of this mod. I have HD Off Road Engineering parts on my rig and I had an experienced person install them.

If I had to do it all over, I'd run 3" lift, 31" tires and 4.10 gears.

I do trail riding, not so much crawling and I drive mine everywhere I ride. Keeping it low and closer to stock will retain a lot drivability of the XJ without introducing a lot of other modification or expense.

Good luck with your build.

Back