• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery isolation, for welding?

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
is there any tricks to disconnecting the battery while welding on the jeep?
in the last 2 months, ive probably disconnected/reconnected my battery 60 times, i'd love to speed it up! im tired of losing wing nuts off my battery terminals =)

so, could you put in an automotive master battery kill switch, and just switch it off for welding? im not trying to give my renix any more problems then what its got!

OR... do you guys even disconnect the battery?
also, would a +9v radio preset saver work in this situation? i lose presets everyday. and yes, its annoying.

thanks for reading!

you can control where the current flows based on where you put your ground vs where you're welding. if you have them close together and no wires between, you're good to go. i've done this a bunch of times. sometimes there's no way around it and you just have to disco the battery, but a lot of times it can be avoided by a strategic placement of the ground.

you could always run one of these for disconecting the battery quickly ;) I have installed a couple of these since my rigs sit till they get wheeled...

97853.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97853

so, could you put in an automotive master battery kill switch, and just switch it off for welding? im not trying to give my renix any more problems then what its got!
That'll disconnect the battery but that might not be what you want.

OR... do you guys even disconnect the battery?
Like asp387 I don't disconnect my battery unless I have to.

also, would a +9v radio preset saver work in this situation? i lose presets everyday. and yes, its annoying.
Yep, that should help. Radio requires almost nothing to keep the memory alive.

I don't bother disconnecting the battery usually like I said... if you keep the ground clamp very close to where you're working and no electronics are connected to the piece of metal you're welding in, it should be fine. TIG can cause problems even with this method because of the high frequency AC arc-start it uses, not much to be done about that except unplugging the electronics. For TIG I would unplug the TCU, ECU, MAP sensor, ICM, airbag module, battery, and ABS module to be 100% sure of not damaging something... though that would leave the instrument cluster exposed. The problem with TIG is that the arc start induces a lot of voltage in any nearby wires (more than MIG or flux core) which can cause damage to semiconductors. The wires themselves and stuff like the TPS and fuel pump + injectors are unlikely to be damaged.

Disconnecting all that is probably overkill, but it's what I would do.

Back