• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Spartan Locker problems?!?HELP!

jeepersanch

NAXJA Forum User
So I just installed my spartan locker in my D30 on my 97 XJ. as soon as I drove off to test drive, I had SEVERE steering issues!!! My steering was being thrown from side to side and it was like I had no power steering. I HAVE ZERO ISSUES with my steering components. this only started AFTER I installed the spartan locker. HELP!!!:flamemad::flamemad::flamemad::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme:

lets cover the basics first (not to insult your intelligence):

- were you in 2wd? (i had an issue with my Tcase not coming out of 4wd, i noticed it IMMEDIATELY on the pavement, via steering input)
- did you check all the dimensions as the instructions tell you to?

lets cover the basics first (not to insult your intelligence):

- were you in 2wd? (i had an issue with my Tcase not coming out of 4wd, i noticed it IMMEDIATELY on the pavement, via steering input)
- did you check all the dimensions as the instructions tell you to?

First off, no offense taken. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I know how its important to run through the basics first, as that's where the easiest mistakes can be made. on that note...

yes i was definitely in 2WD. I felt the difference of both 4WD & 2WD.
I did not have any of the instructions that come with the unit due to the fact that I bought the locker secondhand. I pretty much got the parts and the box. that's it. :smoker:

with my aussie, i had to check tolerances with a feeler gauge.

taken from the install instructions for your spartan:
Center Gap Measurement
1. With the Spartan components fully installed measure the distance between the two Spartan drivers using a set of feeler gauges or slide caliper. Distance should measure between .145 and .170 in.
2. If measurement does not fall within range check installation procedure and product for potentials obstructions.

might want to check the installation instructions and see if it tells you to remove or reuse the thrust washers (i dont feel like reading):
http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8125&Product=SL_D30-27&Brand=Spartan_Locker

with my aussie, i had to check tolerances with a feeler gauge.

taken from the install instructions for your spartan:

might want to check the installation instructions and see if it tells you to remove or reuse the thrust washers (i dont feel like reading):
http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8125&Product=SL_D30-27&Brand=Spartan_Locker

I definitely appreciate the help and info!:worship:

It turns out, I was absolutely F****:twak: by the guy who sold it to me. He put a piece of crap detroit E-Z locker in the spartan box and sold that to me. so... I put it up for sale and will just buy an ACTUAL aussie or spartan new. :cheers:

Back