• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents allow engine compartment fumes into fresh air vents?

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious as to whether hood vents on an XJ allow engine compartment fumes into the fresh air vents in front of the windshield. I have a Lancer Evolution which comes stock with a vented hood, and the hood is designed to create a vacuum above the vent that pulls hot air out of the engine compartment when the car is moving. Engine fumes and hot air make their way into the fresh air vents. Its kind of annoying.

I'm wondering if the same will happen if put vents in the XJ hood. The situation with the XJ is somewhat different - the vents are typically placed at the hood where people say a high pressure area is created, and if that is true, the high pressure might actually push air into the engine compartment through the vents.

I'd rather avoid any odors and the hot engine air going into the fresh air vents so I'd like to know people's experience on this.

15 years, no XJ originated smells or water intrusion issues. Charley3 / bimmerjeepr has OCD.

15 years, no XJ originated smells or water intrusion issues. Charley3 / bimmerjeepr has OCD.

What vents did you install?

Been running Lebaron vents for 6 years, no problems

If the evo is like my subi it has an "under carrage" plastic cover under the engine bay that creates that pressure you speak of. The xj is open under so if anything you'd be less likely to get any of that smell or vapor with hood vents...

Unless you drive like ace ventura of course :roflmao:

Last edited:
What vents did you install?

I installed Pontiac Sunbird turbo vents, lots of the local XJ's have LeBaron turbo vents, and one of the guys brought home some perforated steel from work. I also see lots of generic vents on websites.

Back