• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 woes.

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here’s the deal. I broke *another* axle and joint on the trail, and I’m getting tired of it. I’m running a Dana 30 with tired 33s, so I know I’m not overtaxing things. I am running an Aussie locker which I'm sure doesn't help the axles, but wow! You'd think I could keep joints for more than two runs lol.

Those of you who have run with me know I don't get stupid with the loud pedal, and I know how to take lines. It's not normally tom-foolery that lands me in the broken house.

I would go chromoly shafts, but it’s the idiot joint that keeps breaking I believe. However, each time they let go, the ears of the shaft are snapped, too. Do I need to go to a better shaft? This is the third one and I’m tired of babying it and fixing it. What do you guys do to keep the 30 behaving? What are the best joints out there? I need them.

All I hear are horror stories about the D35 rear, but nothing has ever happened to mine. I *cannot* keep driver side axles in my 30. HELP!

Thanks, NAXJA. :)

Last edited:
the later 30's used bigger u joints that'll solve part of your problem on the cheap.

Yea i have never had a problem with my 2000 D30 probably because of the bigger u joints, im running 33's with no locker. But if you want i am dropping my D30 for a HP30 and i would be glad to donate it to you.

buy my d44 front, problem solved.. ill cut ya a deal :D haha

Are these shafts biggier? they are from IROR..This is there write up on them..

This is the OEM axle shaft out of a 95 or newer XJ. Directly bolts in to any XJ, ZJ, TJ front end without Central Axle Disconnect. This axle shaft is equipped with the much larger (Dana 44 size) Spicer 297X u-joint (94 and older XJ's use the small 260X u-joint). This is a genuine Dana brand inner and outer axle shaft assembly complete with Spicer 297X u-joint installed. This is a must have upgrade for any 94 or older XJ running 32" or larger tires, especially with a front locker. Also a good upgrade for old, fatigued and rusty axle shafts. For 33-35" tires (up to 13.5" wide) with a front locker, we recommend the complete set with the stronger Spicer 760X u-joint and our Almost Alloy kit installed and ready to bolt in..

I am looking to upgrade mine..

what joints are you running ? 297? 260? If you're running the smaller joints, upgrade. If you're running 297, go full circle clips and run quality joints: spicer or upgraded (but if you upgrade joints, get better shafts).

for what its worth, go to the CTM joints, they are pricey, but I run 37s on them, with good shafts..

Dude! You are you rolling your joints right?
I get the best from this 4x4 guy in Yucaipa

bob-marley-02.jpg

Just get the bigger shafts from a newer think 92 93 one with abs had them.

Back