• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor repair

jp_of_fire

NAXJA Forum User
I have removed my seats, console and all the carpet and insulation in my XJ. I have a 1994 Country that has seen many miles of salty MN freeway. The bottom is rusty, but that is a different project. The problem at hand is I have several smaller holes ranging from 1.5"x6" the largest to 1"x.5" that need to be repaired before I apply POR-15 and then a heavy coat of herculiner. I would love to weld new metal in, but I have no welding experience and no welder. I have tried to find a helping hand, but no one knows anyone that would be willing to help. I kinda need this done before the 20th of August to show my uncle what i did to his former XJ. It was stock when i received it and it is a bit different with a 3" lift, 31" AT's, Bushwacker Cut-out flares, 9000lb winch, etc, he will be surprised! The only thing I can think of is to rivet new meatl over the top with sealer and maybe JB Weld or something to keep crap form getting past the seal. I also plan on 2-4 custom drain holes to speed up clean up after playing in the mud or to drain river water. Any ideas?????

If you know anybody with a welder IMO that would be the best way to go, otherwise rivets should work. If you lived a little closer I would try to help and let you borrow my welder, sorry. Ah I hate salt (fellow Minnesotan) Just extremely glad my 87 had an undercoating done a while back. Otherwise I don't think I'd have much of a floor left... good luck

Check out the POR-15 website and look for their "Floorpan Restoration Kit". I used it on my old MJ. There is some fiberglass-type matting that gets soaked with the POR-15 and goes over the holes in your floorpan. I used it on some pretty big holes too. If you have any doubts about the stability of this repair, the kit also includes a two-part epoxy putty that dries hard as sh*t that you can place around the patch to reinforce the area. Then slap another coat of POR-15 on both sides of the patch and put your Herculiner on the inside and outside of the floor. I have ran that MJ through 2 winters in MI without any problems. I would recommend coating the whole floor to stop any future rust too.

Oh yeah, follow the prepping directions to a "T" for the POR-15 and you shouldn't have any problems. Hope this helps ya.

Brent

I like the sounds of the POR 15 floor pan repair kit. i wish i would have known about that before this afternoon when i started riveting sheetmetal to the floor and sealing it with silicone and blending the edges in with Quik steel. So far I have 4 holes covered and it looks good. After the POR 15 is used, and then the Herculiner, I think it will be damn strong, at least I hope. Thanks for the ideas!

Back