• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Spd Stak box--which shifters????

gatmetalxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm lookin to get a Stak 5.44 to 1 box for my 1ton swap and i'm curious which shifters would be better w/ an XJ...the regular or the TJ shifters...

Kind of impatient, aren't ya? It is the Holidays afterall...

I just used the regular shifters (not the TJ ones) and it worked fine. You'll need to modify the tranny tunnel quite a bit, but it works. The tape in the pics is temporary, as I made the top panels of the tranny tunnel and shifter area removable (so that I can put switches there if I want later) and I haven't had a chance to drill and tap for the fasteners yet. The shifter boot I bought from Summit and that will be permanently attached after the panel is attached. The whole tranny tunnel modifications was a huge pain. Good luck.

stak2.jpg

stak1-1.jpg

stak4.jpg

.err..anyone up for one of those nifty new cable shifters-Seems like they offer a few more mounting options-DEO offers them at a reasonable price and if you have a little fabricating skills pieces and parts can be obtain from sources like McMasters here online to save you some money after these X-Mas Holidays-HTH

gatmetalxj said:
i wonder if TJ shifters would be the way to go...i guess i will be doing some tunnel wall modification....the cable idea sounds interesting...

I believe the TJ ones are designed to go through the factory console slot. Should work for the XJ console as well.

gatmetalxj was there a reason you were unsure the regular ones wouldnt be fine ... i mean do you have a modified custom tranny tunnel , or you modd the center consule allot ?

not to drag this off topic to much but how much do the stak boxes retail for and which outfits are selling them these days ?

bxj said:
.err..anyone up for one of those nifty new cable shifters-Seems like they offer a few more mounting options-DEO offers them at a reasonable price and if you have a little fabricating skills pieces and parts can be obtain from sources like McMasters here online to save you some money after these X-Mas Holidays-HTH

I did the McMaster route on mine, works well. Still gotta box everything in.

cable1.JPG

motorcityxj said:
gatmetalxj was there a reason you were unsure the regular ones wouldnt be fine ... i mean do you have a modified custom tranny tunnel , or you modd the center consule allot ?

not to drag this off topic to much but how much do the stak boxes retail for and which outfits are selling them these days ?

you can get a stak 2 speed box for $1899 plus shipping from stak4x4...and to answer your question, no i don't have a custom tranny tunnel or mod the center consule alot...that's the reason i'm asking which shifters...if i don't have to dick around with sheet metal for a little extra coin, i will...cuz the HP60/14bolt install and custom cage isn't enough to fart around with...plus i wanna keep the inside somewhat stock if i can...

DaJudge said:
I believe the TJ ones are designed to go through the factory console slot. Should work for the XJ console as well.

Yes, designed to go through the stock TJ console, not an XJ's. The consoles are different, and I'm 99% sure that the shifters are located differently in relation to the driver (I've worked on both vehicles, but didn't pay close attention to the TJ's shifter locale). I'm positive that where the TJ t-case is located in relation to the body of the vehicle is very different than where the XJ t-case is located. Since the shifter is hard mounted to the STaK itself, more that likely (almost positive) the TJ shifter assembly wouldn't come up in the same place in the floor if used on the XJ.

As far as cables go, in Vetteboy's pics the cable assembly extends very far forward (his drivetrain is VERY long... :) )- further than the STaK's shifter assembly. If that particular cable assembly was used, it might be difficult to route the cables and mount the cables - especially since the shifters and the cables are on the same side of the vehicle.

Whatever route you go, there will be some degree of tranny tunnel modification. If the length of the assembly is not an issue, then the width of the shifters will be. Two shifters are wider that one simple handle (duh... :) ).

I'm running TnT's front suspension components, which places the drivetrain a bit higher than stock because of the skidplate. That presented a little bit of a challenge, and a little bit more cutting of the tranny tunnel - not only for the t-case and the position which it was clocked, but for the front driveshaft CV. I also had to raise my seat an inch to clear the t-case and the modified floor.

What it comes down to is this: whatever your situation will end up, putting an aftermarket part in your vehicle and expecting it to slip in and fit like the stock component is unrealistic. You have to improvise to make it work. Also, be careful which advice you listen to. There are many people who speculate what will work and what won't based on internet crap, but unless they have actually done the work, they really don't know what they're talking about. Be cautious.

Capt. Nemo said:
As far as cables go, in Vetteboy's pics the cable assembly extends very far forward (his drivetrain is VERY long... :) )- further than the STaK's shifter assembly. If that particular cable assembly was used, it might be difficult to route the cables and mount the cables - especially since the shifters and the cables are on the same side of the vehicle.

Long...ya think? :doh:

Equal length driveshafts f/r @ 37" though. :)

I should also mention that the bend radius is pretty much maxed there (i.e., that's the smallest curve I could have in the cable). I routed them like that because I had the space. Another option would be to go over the top of the t-case and have the cables come from the other direction, which I did for my buddy's NP205:

cable10.jpg

cable9.jpg

The NP231 really makes efficient use of the given space though...as Capt. Nemo said, it's really gonna be very hard to fit anything but a smaller New Process case in that same spot without having to futz with the trans tunnel.

Is there just as much tranny tunnel beating/cutting needed for an Atlas? Or does it just depend on how flat you want it?

Back