• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Disc Brake Kit

IMHO, TSM is excessively expensive. I figure their costs to run over $600 with new calipers containing parking brakes.

I bought a new Terra Disk brake kit (similar to the ZJ/Explorer set up) for $350 shipped. It included the brake lines, brake line brackets, most hardware, caliper brackets, dust shields, calipers, rotors, shoes, and pads.

Bones :skull1:

Bones said:
IMHO, TSM is excessively expensive. I figure their costs to run over $600 with new calipers containing parking brakes.

I bought a new Terra Disk brake kit (similar to the ZJ/Explorer set up) for $350 shipped. It included the brake lines, brake line brackets, most hardware, caliper brackets, dust shields, calipers, rotors, shoes, and pads.

Bones :skull1:

Bones, Who / where did you get the Terra Disk brake kit from?

Thanks Bones ... this is the kinda posts I'm looking for. I have just about had it messing with my rear drum brakes and I'm looking to go to disc. Need alternatives ....

Are the kits competative, price wise, with just doing a ZJ conversion? I can go that direction if necessary ...

Les

lbexj said:
Thanks Bones ... this is the kinda posts I'm looking for. I have just about had it messing with my rear drum brakes and I'm looking to go to disc. Need alternatives ....

Are the kits competative, price wise, with just doing a ZJ conversion? I can go that direction if necessary ...

Les

I run a TSM conversion on my scout 44 in my XJ. It is overly expensive, and the caddy calipers, while they work fine for braking, have an almost completely non-functional ebrake. I have repeatedly adjusted them, and cannot get them to self adjust for more than a couple of days at a time. Very frustrating. I would try ZJ or explorer brakes, as the swap seems fairly straightforward. Not to highjack, but if anyone has any good tips on adjusting the 79 caddy calipers PLEASE let me know.

xj-grin said:
I run a TSM conversion on my scout 44 in my XJ. It is overly expensive, and the caddy calipers, while they work fine for braking, have an almost completely non-functional ebrake. I have repeatedly adjusted them, and cannot get them to self adjust for more than a couple of days at a time. Very frustrating. I would try ZJ or explorer brakes, as the swap seems fairly straightforward. Not to highjack, but if anyone has any good tips on adjusting the 79 caddy calipers PLEASE let me know.

I have a TSM kit on my HP Currie 9". The parking brake is pretty useless in reverse (I can back out of a parking space at idle with it engaged), but I find it isn't bad in holding forward motion. I haven't had an adjustment issue with the brake...and I wonder why you'd need to adjust an integrated caliper parking brake since the calipers themselves are self adjusting? Sounds like something is wrong.

Nay

Nay said:
I have a TSM kit on my HP Currie 9". The parking brake is pretty useless in reverse (I can back out of a parking space at idle with it engaged), but I find it isn't bad in holding forward motion. I haven't had an adjustment issue with the brake...and I wonder why you'd need to adjust an integrated caliper parking brake since the calipers themselves are self adjusting? Sounds like something is wrong.

Nay

I totally agree that something is wrong, but I think its the caliper design itself. I have followed all of TSM's adjustment instructions regarding getting the ebrake cable arm aligned properly, but it doesn't self adjust well, and only works (sortof) for a couple of days. I think yours might be better because the 9" version uses the larger '78 caddy calipers, as do the dana 60/70 conversions. I have a buddy with the D70 and his works similarly to yours. The D44 conversion uses '79 caddy eldo calipers, which are significantly smaller, and apparently not as effective.

Thanks for your input though - maybe some D44 guys have some answers...?

Chris

Back