• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never get your oil changed at...

baronf

NAXJA Forum User
Walmart. Wait, let me explain first. I was driving by the new Wal-Mart one day and noticed they had some 13.00 oil change special. I needed an oil change and was in a hurry so figured, why not? Well very soon after getting this oil change I noticed my oil pressure was not like it used to be. My first conclusion was that it was the Fram filter they used so I decided I would just change the filter. So, at 1000 miles after this oil change I decided I might as well go ahead and change the oil with the new filter. Heres the deal, it was NOT the fram filter. Wal-Mart put only 4 QUARTS OF OIL in the Jeep. 4 QUARTS! This is a 4.0 liter not a 2.8. When I drained it I actually got a little less than 4 quarts and I know that I dont have a leak so there is no way that I leaked/burned 2 quarts in 1000 miles and have no spots where I park. Anyway, I used a Castrol (synthetic mix) and Purolator (pure one) and now my pressure problems are gone. (assuming 25-55 oil pressure is good) Im just glad I caught this early as it couldve potentially caused some problems in the future.

You should go back there and raise some hell.

LOL Don't bother! I had my Suburban (RIP) changed there, they overfilled the 350 with generic 5w30 on a summer fill (I asked for 10w40 mobil). I bitched out the serv-dep manager who apologized and handed me a voucher for a free lube job. I then called the customer complaint dept and complained that at no time did they offer to FIX the oil change screw-up.............. so complaints sent me a voucher for an alignment job!!! I gave that to a friend who used it on his blazer........ they screwed up the alignment too!

so suck it up, move on, and if the part is on the bottom shelf let THEM bend over and get it!

-r0 <-------misses k-mart

Rule # 1 Dont ever let ANYONE change your oil. I don't care if you take it to the dealer,jiffy lube, Wal-Mart or any other place. They all hire stupid kids for just above minimum wage who don't have any respect for you or your car.

I have heard these complaints from all types of places. Just go buy a oil pan,filter wrench and do it yourself. Sure its more trouble and maybe a little more money but hey....if it fails you only have yourself to blame.

DrMoab said:
Rule # 1 Dont ever let ANYONE change your oil. I don't care if you take it to the dealer,jiffy lube, Wal-Mart or any other place. They all hire stupid kids for just above minimum wage who don't have any respect for you or your car.

I have heard these complaints from all types of places. Just go buy a oil pan,filter wrench and do it yourself. Sure its more trouble and maybe a little more money but hey....if it fails you only have yourself to blame.

I would have to agree and disagree with that one... if they are doing an oil change/lube job
do you really think they will grease the hard to get to zerks? and if they had an ass chewing before hand??..... trouble waiting to happen....But if you have a "regular" mechanic that does your stuff.. by all means let them change/lube/align or whatever...

jeepinandy said:
I would have to agree and disagree with that one... if they are doing an oil change/lube job
do you really think they will grease the hard to get to zerks? and if they had an ass chewing before hand??..... trouble waiting to happen....But if you have a "regular" mechanic that does your stuff.. by all means let them change/lube/align or whatever...
How many "regular" mechanics do you know who will change your oil? Most places(yes I know not all of um) have "regular" mechanics who do most of the work but when it comes to oil changes they have some pimpley faced kid that does the grunt work.

Just curious...If your regular Mechanic changes your oil what does he charge? Bet its way more then jiffy lube. :D

DrMoab said:
How many "regular" mechanics do you know who will change your oil? Most places(yes I know not all of um) have "regular" mechanics who do most of the work but when it comes to oil changes they have some pimpley faced kid that does the grunt work.

Just curious...If your regular Mechanic changes your oil what does he charge? Bet its way more then jiffy lube. :D

I know exactly what you're saying... by regular mechanic i meant your local garage not jiffy lube/wal mart etc... and i do change my own oil etc.. and i'm one of the lucky ones who has a brother that works at a garage to help with alignments and such... I'm just trying to take up the slack for the good mechainics that take pride in their job..

jeepinandy said:
I know exactly what you're saying... by regular mechanic i meant your local garage not jiffy lube/wal mart etc... and i do change my own oil etc.. and i'm one of the lucky ones who has a brother that works at a garage to help with alignments and such... I'm just trying to take up the slack for the good mechainics that take pride in their job..
I come from a family of mechanics and trust me...Not giving them any flack. Not even giving the snot nosed kids who change the oil any grief. Just the guys who are too lazy to change their own oil then complain when it goes wrong.

DrMoab said:
I come from a family of mechanics and trust me...Not giving them any flack. Not even giving the snot nosed kids who change the oil any grief. Just the guys who are too lazy to change their own oil then complain when it goes wrong.

:cheers:

Geeze, there are no free lunches out there. I'd not let a $13.00 oil change anywhere near my engine. The worst of both worlds would be fram filter and qacker state or it's proxy penzoil..gives me loose bowels just thinking about that combo...
Reminds me, time to do the fleet again this weekend. Gotta get my grease gun with the 3' extension back from my neighbor...gonna be ticked if he put anything but mobil one in there...

Back