• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which brand ball joints?

JeepFan3

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to decide which ball joints I should get for my '90 XJ and the reviews are all over the place: *"get brand X" / "brand X sucks"; "get brand Z" / "brand Z used to be good but now they suck". *

My XJ is my DD with some mild off-road use (4.7 stroker, 4" lift, 33" tires), and*I've had it for 15+ years and plan on keeping it another 15 years. *I don't mind spending $$$ on it, but I don't want to spend way more than I need and I definitely don't want to waste money on crappy parts. *What would you all suggest? *Thanks!

Spicer all the way, I ran synergy ball joints and they lasted less than 5,000 street miles. I installed Spicer's and I abused them for 4 years and many miles, they were still tight when I sold the axles from under my rig.

Spicer all the way, I ran synergy ball joints and they lasted less than 5,000 street miles. I installed Spicer's and I abused them for 4 years and many miles, they were still tight when I sold the axles from under my rig.

Spicer is always a good choice.
Most parts today are available in a 'value' parts line and a 'professional' parts line.
I always go for the professional grade, getting as close to OEM-quality as possible.

I've always used Moog and haven't had any trouble with them. The key with suspension parts is to grease them regularly. Always grease new parts, since many are sold dry and they will quickly self-destruct without lube...

x2 Spicer.

I read a bunch of threads on ball joints before replacing. Some like synergy are splined. some wear out waaaay to fast. Almost all brands somebody had some bad review on ( used to be good, now its not...bla bla bla). Thus far, I just have never read a complaint on Spicer, and they are the factory part supplier. They seem to keep the crowd happy, so far so good!

Back