NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 8th, 2018, 16:29
fitrider82 fitrider82 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MI
Posts: 2
Upgraded Battery Cables

Plan on making my own battery cables for all main power and grounds. Can anyone provide the specific lengths, and hole sizes needed when I make them? Plan on going with 2AWG. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:11
Ralph77 Ralph77 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 259
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

I was going to use this for lengths for my '00 but not sure what year these at this link apply too. If it even makes a difference.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Power_Cables.html

Instead I scoffed a harness out of the boneyard from a '99, almost positive it is the same as my '00, to use as a guide.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 9th, 2018, 19:52
lawsoncl lawsoncl is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 4,700
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitrider82 View Post
Plan on making my own battery cables for all main power and grounds. Can anyone provide the specific lengths, and hole sizes needed when I make them? Plan on going with 2AWG. Thanks!

Year?

5-90 used to have a webpage with length and sizes (and you could also buy a set from him) at http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power but that page looks to be long gone.



Grab the wife's sewing tape measure, the plastic or paper one, or some string and measure the lengths. Avoid a metal tape measure for obvious reasons. I just grabbed used some ready-made beefy ones from the local tractor supply house. Otherwise, you'll need to borrow a hydraulic crimper since a poor crimp is worse than undersized cable.









Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:34
fitrider82 fitrider82 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MI
Posts: 2
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I was going to use this for lengths for my '00 but not sure what year these at this link apply too. If it even makes a difference.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Power_Cables.html

Instead I scoffed a harness out of the boneyard from a '99, almost positive it is the same as my '00, to use as a guide.
You are the man, hopefully these are the right lengths for my 93. The link is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:54
Ralph77 Ralph77 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 259
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitrider82 View Post
You are the man, hopefully these are the right lengths for my 93. The link is much appreciated!
No problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:24
asymptonic asymptonic is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 153
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

One caution about that link. He craps on the block to firewall connection as being weak as its braided. But it is that way to reduce EMI interference generated by the engine. The shape of that strap is probably that way due to radio engineering. If it were me and mine looked bad I'd replace it with a like style rather than turning it into a round cable.
__________________
1998 4.0 I6, AX15, NP231

Last edited by asymptonic; August 12th, 2018 at 07:40.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 12th, 2018, 09:13
lawsoncl lawsoncl is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 4,700
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
One caution about that link. He craps on the block to firewall connection as being weak as its braided. But it is that way to reduce EMI interference generated by the engine. The shape of that strap is probably that way due to radio engineering. If it were me and mine looked bad I'd replace it with a like style rather than turning it into a round cable.

No, nothing so elaborate even if the wire construction could affect EMI. I'm pretty sure it was a flat braid simply to maximize the flexibility so it doesn't fatique and break due to motor movement. The downside of the braided is that the strands are more exposed to dust, dirt, abrasive and corrosion. Just use some reasonable sized wire with a high strand count and a little extra length to improve the flexibility and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 12th, 2018, 16:06
Dash Riprock Dash Riprock is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
I just grabbed used some ready-made beefy ones from the local tractor supply house. Otherwise, you'll need to borrow a hydraulic crimper since a poor crimp is worse than undersized cable

What's wrong with using a hammer lug crimper like this TEMCo TH0007?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UUVT0



I agree that a really nice hydraulic crimper is ideal, but based on my research it seems like the hammer crimper is a suitable and much cheaper alternative. I made new cables a few weeks back using the above crimper, and every crimp felt solid.



This video convinced me, where the guy cuts apart joints made with just a screwdriver+hammer, hammer crimper, and hydraulic crimper: https://youtu.be/mBSnfHhi5xA. The screwdriver+hammer is predictably weak, the hammer crimper looks solid, and the hydraulic is superior. So if money was no object, I'd have gotten a hydraulic or cables made by someone using a hydraulic, but going homemade, the whole kit (cables, wires, fuse block, heatshrink, lugs, crimper, battery terminals) cost $125 with plenty of leftovers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 12th, 2018, 17:21
Heavyopp Heavyopp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Middlesex, NJ
Posts: 517
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

I use that exact crimper too except I use it in my hydraulic press

Works just fine for me
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:08
asymptonic asymptonic is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 153
Re: Upgraded Battery Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
No, nothing so elaborate even if the wire construction could affect EMI. I'm pretty sure it was a flat braid simply to maximize the flexibility so it doesn't fatique and break due to motor movement. The downside of the braided is that the strands are more exposed to dust, dirt, abrasive and corrosion. Just use some reasonable sized wire with a high strand count and a little extra length to improve the flexibility and you'll be fine.
Seems your right. Its not so much the cable but the place it attaches, which provides a close ground return path for the instrument cluster & radio:


Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeforums
RADIO NOISE SUPPRESSION

DESCRIPTION

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) noise suppression is accomplished primarily through circuitry internal to the radio receivers. These internal suppression devices are only serviced as part of the radio receiver. External suppression devices that are used on this vehicle to control RFI or EMI noise include the following:

Radio antenna base ground

Radio receiver chassis ground wire or strap

Engine-to-body ground strap

Resistor-type spark plugs

Radio suppression-type secondary ignition wiring.


The above statement is essentially the same in the 1997 FSM but has the following statement concerning the Engine-to-body ground strap:


“Engine-to-body ground strap (if the vehicle is so equipped)”

The radio receiver chassis ground is located at a ground terminal designated G108, which is located on the instrument panel frame structure near the headlamp switch. The engine-to-body ground strap on the firewall provides a close proximity ground path to the radio recever chassis ground point.

Note that the '97 FSM description differs from the '99 FSM description only that it states "if the vehicle is so equipped". Not that it makes any difference here but apparently there is a posibility that the '97 XJ may not have this strap if there is no radio installed.

Earlier XJ's may not use this ground strap strictly for this purpose.

Braided ground straps sold at Advance Auto Parts, and elsewhere, are suitable for replacement if your ground strap is no good. I think a large gauge cable would be an overkill in this application.

__________________
1998 4.0 I6, AX15, NP231
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgraded Battery Cables Locked98GC Modified Tech Discussion 19 March 5th, 2013 08:07
battery cables poomero Wanted: Private Party Only 0 December 14th, 2009 08:07
Best Battery Cables for XJ? ltkaknm OEM Tech Discussion 33 January 22nd, 2007 10:07
Battery cables bzdel2441 OEM Tech Discussion 5 August 8th, 2004 10:21


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014