• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid jeep

88RIxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 1988 jeep cheerokee xj(2 door) is what i call a driving hybrid. It is my everyday mod of transportation and my toy trail truck.I put the RC 3 inch lift kit in with some goodyear radials rapped on some bronco II rims that i shaved to fit. Now befor the lift I was getting an average of 20mpg around town. now i am gettin 18mpg(still not to bad). i have already replaced the stock air box with a cold air intake because i found one for free. So what else can i do to help out the fuel milage. I was thinking about doing the "snorkle" set up under the windsheild wipers and i was thinking that might help push the air into the intake helping milage. Adventualy I was going to put the high flow cat and a glasspack to help increase exhaust. If anyone has any ideas or builds that they have done to help out the MPG that would be wounderfull.:gee:

i dont know what size tires you are running but i would say you are pretty lucky for the age of the jeep and to be getting 18 mpg. i doubt much will help, maybe id start with tuneup from summitracing.com then exhaust

Yeah, you're doin ok on milage. Post 3" lift i get 15 town and 18-20 hwy depending on wind. Put on dynomax cat back from summit (sounds about stock to me, but good deal on a larger exhaust). Mileage is about the same as before lift and exhaust. 92 4.0ho 137000 miles.

to be honest with you, the best way to get your milage up considerably is to drive easy, don't slam the pedal down and then brake, if you have a manual shift at the correct rpm's. you will be surprised how much fuel (and engine wear) this can save

but of course that's not as fun as laying rubber at lights :party:

doug

Yea i do generally keep off the pedal and am pretty easy on it on road. But of course ido like laying down soe rubber every now and then. As ar as tires i have 235/75R15 good year radials. and i was just looking at high flow cats and the glasspacs up at pepboys today so i think that willhelp and i might just have to do the electric fan idea, that sounds lke it will help a bit and also help the cooling.

Back