NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 4th, 2011, 16:03
NAXJA Forum User

P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Circuit Fault

Has anyone ever had this code pop on a 2001 xj?

Also where is the purge Solenoid. Is it on the passenger side fire wall? If so would a ticking nosie from it be a sign that it's on it's way out?
Old December 4th, 2011, 19:43
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Circuit Fault

P0443 (M) Evap Purge Solenoid Circuit. An open circuit or short condition detected in the EVAP purge solenoid control circuit.

The Evap Purge Solenoid is one the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old October 16th, 2020, 12:35
NAXJA Member

My '01 has started throwing the P0443 code today. I searched first which is why this 9 year old thread is back.

As far as I know, one of the solenoid pins is connected to a 12v ignition switch controlled supply via fuse 10 in the kick panel junction box, possibly a white wire. The other pin is connected to the PCM which grounds it every 5 to 10 seconds.

I have checked the solenoid resistance, it is 35 Ohms. The acceptable range is 30-40 Ohms so the solenoid appears to be OK.

The voltage across the harness conductors with the ignition on is 7 volts. FSM says it should be at least 10 volts. Identifying the source of the voltage drop is the problem to resolve.

Any advice on what else I need to do/check?

1. Spray contact cleaner in the plug and socket
2. Physically check the wiring for damage (wires into the plug looked strained)
3. Check wiring termination at fuse 10

I am going to order a new plug and a new solenoid. I will extend the harness about 3" to give it some slack at the plug. The Jeep was dealer maintained prior to my ownership so perhaps this plug has been changed in the past.

I have to get this fixed before January. It won't pass the annual safety inspection with CEL illuminated.
Old November 21st, 2020, 12:49
NAXJA Member

Mine was an easy fix. I disconnected and reconnected the downstream oxygen sensor a few times while I was working on the exhaust and when I put it back together the CEL had cleared. I haven't checked the voltage on the harness yet but I reckon it was a tarnished oxygen sensor socket in the vehicle harness.