NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 7th, 2017, 06:28
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 93 XJ BUILD (WITH LS SWAP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Ya I ordered the shifter and had it the next day! I constantly have people envying it even though its a super simple no-nonsense shifter. Super easy to use too.
Yeah I love the looks of that shifter. Plus it has the neutral gate so you can slam it in to neutral without slamming into reverse haha
Old May 7th, 2017, 13:23
NAXJA Forum User

So i've asked this question a bunch before. do you think that shifter could fit under a stock console?
Old May 7th, 2017, 15:37
NAXJA Forum User

Comparing it to the stock console in my 93 it looks as if it would take a good amount of cutting.
Old May 7th, 2017, 21:36
NAXJA Member

I would say no. It sweeps very far forward and very far backwards (angle wise). In 'P' you can see the shift knob almost touch my ham radio. In '1' its so far back my e-brake handle almost hits if i want to use the e-brake in '1'.

Still...would not trade it for anything else, the design is simple and functional. The console I have is made out of fiberglass and wood, very simple/easy to build.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:32
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjRJ View Post
Yeah I love the looks of that shifter. Plus it has the neutral gate so you can slam it in to neutral without slamming into reverse haha
Love that shifter-- I have the same one :-)

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:32
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
So i've asked this question a bunch before. do you think that shifter could fit under a stock console?
I fit it in the stock '88 console, with some cutting, and made some polished aluminum inserts. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

here's a few pics of mine, stock console:

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's

Last edited by jmg222; May 8th, 2017 at 08:51.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
I fit it in the stock '88 console, with some cutting, and made some polished aluminum inserts. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

That's came out great. I might try to do that. If I end up not liking it I'll have my dad make me a customer console out of sheet metal (he does sheet metal work for a living) then wrap it or something of the sort.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Is it just me or is your HU and climate control falling back into the dash?
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
Is it just me or is your HU and climate control falling back into the dash?
The HU has an auto-tilt "feature". when the ignition is off, the screen tilts and recesses into the dash.

The HVAC controls are old. They really didn't fit that well (too deep), so yes, they were tilted. I've since retrofitted a later model dial-setup that isn't as deep, and sits straight (which I don't recommend -- I did a write up in here somewhere, which was based off a far more detailed write up, and it is a major pain in the rear to swap out HVAC controls, for not much gain).

Old May 8th, 2017, 11:17
NAXJA Forum User

I didnt get as much done as i wanted to this weekend. ended up working on my little brothers tahoe. but i did get one head (drivers side) off and am cleaning out all the dirt and grime in there, will hopefully get to get the other head off tonight and have it all back together tonight so i can throw the headers on it and just stare for a minuet haha.

the only photo i snagged ill get more tonight
Old May 8th, 2017, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

That gets me wondering if I could fit it under a '99 console. I can always shorten the shifter arm if needed.
Old May 8th, 2017, 13:48
NAXJA Forum User

just saw in the for sale section an new set of navak mounts and headers a board member is selling for 375 shipped for both! if anyone is interseted. if i would have seen it last week i would have been all over
Old May 8th, 2017, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

So I didn't get to do much today but un box some new goodies.

Old May 8th, 2017, 21:41
NAXJA Member

Novak is awesome!

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old May 8th, 2017, 22:09
NAXJA Forum User

Good luck with the one bolt in the passenger side mount...you'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it lol!