• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stubby rear axle snubbers??

darcyv

NAXJA Forum User
Hi So Cal here on vacation(Palm Springs) from Vancouver BC with the family driving my new 99 XJ donor (rolled my built 98 last winter but did not have time to swap over axles drivetrain lift kit excetera so I am here with stock flattened rear leaf springs) hit a bump in San Bernardino and crushed what was left of the original snubbers so that the wheels are getting close to areas in the fender well where damage will occur put on aftermarket shackles before I left and I've dropped to the bottom holes while I've been here but would like to find something to replace the snubbers so that when I bottom out which I'm sure I will I won't damage the tires. stock snubbers are about 4 inches into big so looking for something 1 to 2 inches in height if anyone knows of a stock part for another vehicle that would fit on the XJ that appreciate that info and where I might be able to pick them up on relatively short notice leaving on Saturday or any other constructive ideas - was thinking of collecting a roadkill tire and cutting a couple of strips and drilling holes and putting them up where the original stubbers go and probably will do that if I don't hear anything else better. thanks!

Where in SoCal are you?

Some of us might have something on hand.

A pick-your-part junkyard would be the other alternative, and our vehicles are probably less rusty than what you are accustomed to finding in the jy.

Perhaps someone would have a set of springs laying around as well, which may solve the problem more completely.

You're running stock height (minus the clapped out springs)?

David Bricker / SYR

Welcome to Palm Springs.. I wish I had the parts you need(bump stops)But I may have a set of okay stock leafs here. I'll look in the am to see what I have. Till then enjoy this great weather. How long you in town 4?

My Bad. just seen you said Saturday

Last edited:
I looked on Amazon for stock height and couldn't find any. I was thinking that with Prime I could have gotten a set out to Scott's by tomorrow. No such luck.

thanks for the replies guys good point about the rust maybe some decent stockers at Ajax or desert Pull-A-Part that I can cut down to 2 inch
my son put on a set of adjustable shackles before we left and set them about an inch and a half above stock I moved them to the bottom holes while here to get an extra inch so now two and a half inch above stock I'm sure I'll make it back okay as is the snubbers would just be a bit of extra security
weather is indeed fantastic and we love being here next time I'll be here with my built-up XJ and looking for companions on the trail
hope to spend as much of these last two days in the sun in the pool as possible
burnt two days already one sourcing springs and mechanic successor to no avail also A/C quit and spent 6 hours of expensive and exhausting pain at Pep Boys in Indio don't ask how that happened I'm embarrassed to say a hard reminder as to why do my own mechanical work
thanks again & cheers till next time

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and have a safe trip back.

Next time you're going to be down this way give us a little bit of a heads up. I'm sure someone will be up to hitting a couple trails. The Mall is right across the valley from where you are now.

Back