NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 27th, 2020, 05:29
NAXJA Forum User

2004 WJ radio adaptable?

I really like the WJ radio deluxe radio, and recently got one for free. Is this adaptable to a 1997 XJ? I believe the plugs were changed for the 2002 model year. Would love to know if this is a complete waste of time!

Was thinking it would be cool to have a WJ steering wheel, radio and rear CD changer in an XJ. My sister has a 2004 WJ limited with the infinity system and it sounds excellent and works perfect even 15 years on.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2004 WJ radio adaptable?

There are adapters for the connectors.
Also for the antenna cause those have the thinner antenna wire.
But the mounting points will not match up.
Maybe you could do something about that but also I wonder if it would even fit.

Not the face but everything behind the face in the area in the dash.
Guys have done the WJ steering wheel, the fancy wood one, but I don't know if anybody ever got the radio controls on the steering wheel to work.

XJ's did come with a 6 CD Changer in the rear. Mine has one with the enclosure.
I believe it is a dealer, not factory, installed option.
Come with both a wired and wireless remote. Runs of an FM Modulator that is hooks right up to the wiring for the radio, for power, and splices into the antenna.
Works really well IMO

I would show you pictures but I can't here and I refuse to use a 3rd party thing for that.
Google search would probably pull up some info on that.

XJ's also came with the Infinity Sound System. Thinking the one in the WJ is a better set up.
You should be able to add the tweeters though. I did in my '00. The connector is there and since they have built crossovers they do play.
Old June 29th, 2020, 13:08
Three-De Off-Road

Re: 2004 WJ radio adaptable?

I can't imagine ever getting a WJ radio to fit in the XJ space since the face of the XJ is rectangular and the WJ is rounded. Perhaps a ZJ radio?

I did put a WJ steering wheel in my XJ and it is fantastic. I don't have the cruise or anything that adapted nor was I able to put in a horn or airbag, as the junkyard isn't allowed to sell airbags.

Dirk DeYoung--Member #176
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)