• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another aw4 question

Themanche

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking to swap a AW4 into my 88 MJ. Currently has a 2.5 ax5 that I swapped in years ago. Now looking to go back to an auto and think I might have found a 2.5 AW4 not to far away out of an 89 XJ. But its a scrap yard and does not have the TCM or harness available. Is there a way to run this without the TCM? Could you put in a shifter like the Rad Designs setup and just run full manual?

Well of course as soon as I post this question I find the answer myself...

Has anyone done this swap? Having a stick in the rocks is getting real annoying. How do you like the setup?

i would totally find a tcu and harness and hook those up though, even if you install an aftermarket shifter

having to shift by hand driving to and from the rocks blows.

I have only talked to 1 or 2 people that have done the entire harness swap to get full auto shifting of their AW4. There is a lot of wiring involved, and I don't mind manually shifting the auto, I don't find it that big of a deal. Definitely a lot easier than driving and shifting a manual trans. I drive the 40mi to the mountains and around town some with full manual control only, as does my son-in-law, and he has a working TCM but just prefers the shifting control of doing it manually.

I've done it. The harness is stand alone and only ties like 4 wires into the car.

Its super simple. Power. TPS. Ground.

im currently working on getting a 94 tcu to work on a 88 renix. its mostly the same. only thing it does not do is sent power to the tps and then im not sure if the transmission side of the tps is the same as the tps on a 94.

im currently working on getting a 94 tcu to work on a 88 renix. its mostly the same. only thing it does not do is sent power to the tps and then im not sure if the transmission side of the tps is the same as the tps on a 94.

You can just jumper the power from the engine to trans tps wires.

Use a 95 TCU. The 95 and newer TCU's will up or down shift 2 gears at a time, instead of jumping 1-2-3 or 4-3-2 when you stand on or off of the throttle.

You can just jumper the power from the engine to trans tps wires.

Use a 95 TCU. The 95 and newer TCU's will up or down shift 2 gears at a time, instead of jumping 1-2-3 or 4-3-2 when you stand on or off of the throttle.

what do you mean by upshift and downshift 2 gears at a time?

inside the tcu i had tried jumping a 5v feed out to the tps but i think the 95 is expecting a 8v feed?

double checked the manual it only wants a 5v feed. i might not have had a good connection with the connector. going to try again with a scanner hooked up.

Awesome. Yeah I don't mind manually shifting it. Its strictly a trailer queen so not like I will be having to shift it on the road. plus I manually shift it now so not a whole lot of difference. I think I have found a trans just no harness. Plus don't really want to put one it. Would rather just make it full manual.

You're still going to have to wire a harness in, or you wont' get 2nd gear.

The aftermarket electronic shifters tie into the trans harness to control the transmission, shifting mechanically you can only get 1-3-4.

Back