• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to decide on what shocks to buy...

i was just looking at eshocks and im tryign to decide which ones to buy. Looks like im gonna measure the way Baja XJ mentioned and go from there. I have no where to flex ma shit out on. Though i didnt see the measurements for compressed shocks only length.

Does anyone run softer shocks in the rear? I figured using softer valving in the rear would make it do more work, with my current setup my front does all the flexing

Are you talking low speed flexing? That is a function of spring rate, not shock valving.

i was just looking at eshocks and im tryign to decide which ones to buy. Looks like im gonna measure the way Baja XJ mentioned and go from there. I have no where to flex ma shit out on. Though i didnt see the measurements for compressed shocks only length.

inside LA, you can find places if you try. maybe a loading dock?
i live in westchester, and we have drunk curb's, (imagine a 45 degree curb), i put 1 or 2 car ramps stacked up on the curb, then drive it diagonally, so that only 1 tire is up on the sidewalk. i can get a wheel about 3' above the curb, so thats about 4' rise. plenty for the time being =)

extended length - actual shock travel = compressed height.

for example, my foxes are 9.75 travel, unless you take out the bottom-out donut.

HIJACK: I am running 5" lift, 2000 XJ w/ 8.25 . Putting rear shocks on, the lower mounts are at severe angle in relation to shock eye. What to do? I resorted to mounting the lowers first then hoggin' it in place for the top BPE's. The lower bushings look pretty distorted. How to fix?

inside LA, you can find places if you try. maybe a loading dock?
i live in westchester, and we have drunk curb's, (imagine a 45 degree curb), i put 1 or 2 car ramps stacked up on the curb, then drive it diagonally, so that only 1 tire is up on the sidewalk. i can get a wheel about 3' above the curb, so thats about 4' rise. plenty for the time being =)

extended length - actual shock travel = compressed height.

for example, my foxes are 9.75 travel, unless you take out the bottom-out donut.

i need to find these drunk curbs you speak of

cut off and re-start? at that height, and if you care about rock crawling, you should have em raised anyways.

you got an SYE?
Actually, I just put in Teraflex SYE on Saturday, and am waiting for the DS to get here. Anythings possible with fab skills and a welder, and I have neither. I was just worried about the extra stress on the shock itself. Shocks are designed for vertical compression and extension, but now it has lateral forces pushing on it as well. Don't wanna' ruin 'em. I also don't want to be replacing bushings every oil change either.

I'm currently running about 3in of lift on my XJ, i'm bumping up to roughly 4.5-5in of lift. I'm curious what other guys are running on their XJ's at this height. I use mine to DD and run the rocks, occasional higher speeds over washboard and rough forest roads just for fun. I'm thinkin the 5150s up front in the 255/70 valving. Does anyone have any idea on the ballpark collapsed/extended measurements i'd need?

Back