• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxiliary temp gauge

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
On my 95, I just bought a new rad with a full fan set. I dont want to remove the factory temperature switch from the thermostat housing but I do want to add the one the fans came with into the circuit, I would also like to add an aftermarket manual temp gauge. Since it only has the big port in the housing and the little one in the back of the head, where has other people added temperature sensors? Is there a spot i can drill and tap? Or am I stuck building some sort of contraption that uses the heater hose as it comes out of the head? Amc really should of givin us more ports!

I was thinking that spot on my housing looked like it could be tapped for another sensor. Im concerned that there might not be enough clearance with the new fan setup.

Just buy a nipple and a T- . Brass or steel ,your choice.

That works fine for oil pressure, but in that stagnant coolant others have reported slow or in-accurate readings when using a t. My temp can rise very rapidly delivering mail in the town sections on mail routes so I need to monitor the temp closely and my fans to be quick to respond!

In that event, my solution to the thin steel tube for the heater hoses coming off the water pump might be worth your while.

I ditched the factory arrangement and am running a pair of stainless nipples and a 90 degree elbow in place of the factory bent tube. You could do the same thing, but trade out the elbow for a "T" and probably achieve your goal. The difference in this situation would be the constant flow of water past the "T". I can see how a "T" in the thermostat housing could result in a large air pocket and thus the slow response time. I think if you put it inline on the heater hose circuit where there is a constant flow of coolant you would get the results you want.

IIRC the thread on the water pump is 3/8" NPT. I think I got something like a 6" nipple for the rise from the water pump, then a 90 degree elbow and then a stainless steel nipple designed to connect to a heater hose from Performance Stainless Steel. I think this is the fitting: http://performancesst.com/product.php?productid=39&cat=7&page=1

Note that I had some issues getting the stainless pipe threads to seal perfectly. I wound up having to get a stainless specific primer to use with the pipe sealant before I got the threads to quit weeping just a bit of coolant. Something about stainless threads with a fine finish seemed to be problematic. But once I got it properly sealed it stayed sealed. I have been running this for about 7 years now.

Yeah, I am leaning towards fabbing some sort of block with a nipple on each end to put in the heater hose that comes out next to the thermostat.

Back