• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Gauges Light, Alternator

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I was having problems with my rig not wanting to start all the time due to a dead battery. I replaced both the battery and the alternator. After hooking everything back up, it started up, ran fine, and everything was good on the gauges. This is not my daily driver, and after replacing these parts the other day, I didn't drive it until last night.

Upon leaving the parking lot, the belt starting squealing like a stuck pig, the volt meter on the dash dropped to zero and the check gauges light went on. It was this way for a short drive. When I got back, I shut the Jeep off, and immediately started it again and the gauges and dash read normal.

I was thinking that the belt needs to be tightened more. I also have to double check the connections on the alternator.

Any other suggestions?

Do what you suggested. It would be good to check voltage at the battery terminals after you tighten the belt. Voltage should read around 13.8 - 14.2 with engine running.

Well, I basically can't tighten the adjustment pulley on the belt anymore, and the volts were reading 14.8 or so at the battery terminals. Anything else I should troubleshoot?

I have the same problem but my gause goes to 19 volts. when i roll up the windows, the tape player shuts off. the interior dome light will flicker. and the headlights flicker. then the check gauges light goes off. what is this!!!

Daughters TJ started having the 'check gauges' light come on over a 2 month period but then it would go out, last week she finally mentioned it so I had her take it to my friends shop who checked it. alternator was bad, replaced it.

Well, it appears that the initial check guages light was from not having the belt tight enough. I changed the serpentine belt (even though the one I had was less than 1 year old) and everything seems to be fine. No sqeauling, and no lights. :D

rule of thumb on the proper tightness of a belt....find the longest space between two pulleys and you should be able to twist the belt about 90*. if you have to have to make the belt much tighter than that, you may have a problem with the bearings in your alternator.

Back