• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 classic Cruise Control intermittent at best

pwoens

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes the light turns on when I hit the button, but most times it wont even come on. If it does come on it will almost immediately shutoff. I checked vaccuum lines and they are fine, along with canister. Pulled the switch out of the steering wheel last night and didnt see anything out of the ordinary but didnt test it?? To me it appears to be an electrical issue rather than a vaccuum issue since the lines are sealed??

ANy ideas I can try at home before taking it to the dealer??

Awesome forum btw....just found it!!

thanks

Also check the cruise control switches themselves. I had to clean mine out a couple of months ago due to semi-similar symptoms, and haven't had any problems since.

XJ9888 said:
Check your brake switch adjustment, if it is too sensitive it can cause the cruise not to work.

what would I do to check it?? I looked at it but it appears that it doesnt take much brake pressure to release the switch....in my mind it looks like its cool and I have no faulty brake light symptoms?? but dunno thats why I am asking ...thanks for the input!!

casm said:
Also check the cruise control switches themselves. I had to clean mine out a couple of months ago due to semi-similar symptoms, and haven't had any problems since.

what would I clean?? I pulled the left side switches out and checked for cracked circuitry but it looked fine....also "looked" clean?? They appear to be sealed within a silver sealed thing??? thanks

an update too... this morning was a little colder than yesterday but not sure that has anything to do with it.....BUT this morning it worked for about 10 minutes on the freeway. Got off downtown and then the light went off?? Not sure if its the bumpy road downtown or what?? The light just shutoff and wouldnt turn back on??

Bored400 said:
ahh....you had it in cruise until you braked to exit the freeway? Did it turn off the minute you hit the pedal?

unfortunately no the light did not turn off when I hit the pedal, but the cruise did cancel....I tested it on the freeway by hitting the brake as well. When I hit the brake the light stays on but the cruise acts as it should and cancels...but the light on the dash stays on like its suppose to. I even turned the cruise off manually and the light turned off like its suppose to. I hit cancel and the cruised cancelled but light stayed on like it should. I did hit the brake and light stayed on but cruise cancelled. It worked flawlessly until I got off the freeway?? Yesterday I cruised for 2 hours on the freeway and the light wouldnt come on except maybe two times and then the light would just go away??

The brake switch cant be the problem. i would be leaning more twards a short or the buttons. I tested mine today and even if you hit the brake pedal, the light will stay on.

I cant figure it out so it's heading to the dealer tomorrow morning at 7am. They said 40-50 bucks to diagnose the problem.....guess is it will be 400-500 to fix it ;). Unless its another 10 bucks I'll be fixing it myself after they diagnose it. Got a road trip this weekend with the new xj so I didnt really have a choice but to take it in....I am so use to no CC that I am dying to use it ;)

I'll post what they find. thanks for all the insight!!

So the dealership called me back just now and said ALL fluids need replaced, my rear main is leaking a little, and the problem for the cruise control is the clockspring......go figure right? Well, they said for just all fluid changes and the rear main it would be 900 bucks.....haha....whatever!! Looks like im gonna stop by the parts yard and grab a clockspring for 66 bucks!!

thanks for all the input

please please PLEASE don't let the stealer do all that work on your Jeep....you can do it yourself for MUCH cheaper (and do it right the first time at that).

Just to clarify on the cruise issue, you say that by pressing the "cancel" button on the steering wheel, the cruise does infact cancel, but the light stays on? If so, I believe this is normal. While I don't have cruise on my XJ, on the KJ we've got, the only way the cruise light goes off is if I either press the "on/off" button, or the engine is shut down. If I press cancel, or tap the brake, or any other method to kill the cruise, the light will continue to stay on. This has also been the same on other vehicles i've been in with cruise control.

99XJSPORT06 said:
please please PLEASE don't let the stealer do all that work on your Jeep....you can do it yourself for MUCH cheaper (and do it right the first time at that).

Just to clarify on the cruise issue, you say that by pressing the "cancel" button on the steering wheel, the cruise does infact cancel, but the light stays on? If so, I believe this is normal. While I don't have cruise on my XJ, on the KJ we've got, the only way the cruise light goes off is if I either press the "on/off" button, or the engine is shut down. If I press cancel, or tap the brake, or any other method to kill the cruise, the light will continue to stay on. This has also been the same on other vehicles i've been in with cruise control.

no worries on the dealership doing the work. I would never have them do the work....trust me ;) I do all my fabricating/building on my YJ and built it from the ground up and can turn a wrench with the best of them.....just wanted to "borrow" the dealerships luxury of having a computer to plug into and diagnose the electrical issue with cruise control.

Yes you are correct on the cruise light staying on and being normal....its just that the light would actually shutoff on its own leading me to believe it was electrical and vaccuum..... looks like it is the clockspring though ;)

pwoens said:
no worries on the dealership doing the work. I would never have them do the work....trust me ;) I do all my fabricating/building on my YJ and built it from the ground up and can turn a wrench with the best of them.....just wanted to "borrow" the dealerships luxury of having a computer to plug into and diagnose the electrical issue with cruise control.

Yes you are correct on the cruise light staying on and being normal....its just that the light would actually shutoff on its own leading me to believe it was electrical and vaccuum..... looks like it is the clockspring though ;)

Ahhh I see what your saying now. Good luck with fixing it! :)

Back