NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 1st, 2005, 12:58
NAXJA Forum User

Transmission cooler lines

Im hearing that the only way to fix the leak on the cooler lines is to replace the lines. Am I correct? Is there an aftermarket option instead of an oem option?

Thank you
Old April 1st, 2005, 13:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Transmission cooler lines

What part of the line is leaking? You can pick up some rubber 3/8" transmission cooler hose form an autoparts store to replace a bad section of hard line.
Old April 1st, 2005, 13:51
NAXJA Forum User

Its the rubber section that is going over the steering gear box.
Old April 1st, 2005, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

Rig it. 3/8" hose and some hose clamps. Call it a day. I've been runnin mine like that for months. No worries!
Old April 1st, 2005, 15:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewithfire
Rig it. 3/8" hose and some hose clamps. Call it a day. I've been runnin mine like that for months. No worries!
Yeah, same here. No problems......
Old April 1st, 2005, 16:15
NAXJA Forum User

Mine are leaking at the end of the rubber hoses where it transitions to hard line, it's "crimped" inside the hard line. Any quick easy fixes I need to know about? I don't care for the "stop leak" method. I figure if it will plug the leak in the line, what would keep it from plugging up everything else. Might be ok though, don't really know, haven't researched it too much. Any ideas??
Old April 1st, 2005, 18:03
NAXJA Member # 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleyes
Mine are leaking at the end of the rubber hoses where it transitions to hard line, it's "crimped" inside the hard line. Any quick easy fixes I need to know about? I don't care for the "stop leak" method. I figure if it will plug the leak in the line, what would keep it from plugging up everything else. Might be ok though, don't really know, haven't researched it too much. Any ideas??
Get a small can of WD-40 with the red nozzle extension, and stick that inside the connection as you spray to clean it out. Once the built-up grunge is gone, squeeze the ears of the QD and slide it apart. The gunk HAS to be out of there for the QD to work. Make sure both parts are clean and that the o-ring isn't torn and reassemble.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:30
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewithfire
3 months ago, I would have said the same thing.

Then my Blazer, which I'd done that to, blew off a trans line. Why? Because I didn't double-flare it.

The BEST solution, which isnt' terribly expensive, is to use AN fittings and hose. Also make any future transmission or engine work a hell of a lot easier, as the hard lines aren't in the way anymore.

Bear in mind, if you go with AN fittings, you MUST use the proper flare kit-- 37 degree, single flare, versus 45 degree double flare. Yes, that 8 degrees can make all the difference, just ask any airframe guy.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 15:52
NAXJA Forum User

I used 5/16 tranny cooler hose which is tighter and its been like that for a few months now...

Give it a try

pete
Old April 2nd, 2005, 17:18
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrock
I used 5/16 tranny cooler hose which is tighter and its been like that for a few months now...

Give it a try

pete
Regardless- if you don't use a doubleflare on that hardline BEFORE putting the hose on and clamping it down- you're asking for trouble.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 17:27
NAXJA Member #1362

are the trans lines soft enough metal to use a cheaper (like the ones sold in home cheapo) flare tool on?

i dont see why you would needa double flare why not a single flare?

im also thinking about using a compression fitting with a npt side and a compression side and running a hose barb on the NPT side

would that work?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 19:07
NAXJA Forum User

I usually squish the ends a SMALL amount, right at the end. Makes a nice bump that the hose will not pull out of. Of course, 2 hoseclamps go on that. and on a side note, NO number of hoseclamps will hold a high-pressure line from the power steering pump )
Old April 2nd, 2005, 22:31
NAXJA Member #1145

using a single flare creates a sharp ridge that will cut the hose open.

Double flare tools can be had for $20 at most auto parts stores. It's WELL worth the money-- this is not a system to rig.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

I've kinda stayed outta this one 'cause the info everyone's giving has pretty nuch covered it. This isn't something you want to scrimp on, defineately double flare any hard lines to which your going to be hose clamping a rubber line. Just a few days ago after a short trip on the highway I discovered my new MJ had given itself a wonderful new red paintjob after blowing the tranny cooler line apart. Tranny hadn't started slipping yet by the time I made it to the shop (lucky that's where I was going). Put the line back together as it was and refilled the trans, an hour later it pulled apart again this time pumping itself almost completely dry. This time I fixed it right, lenghtened the hose as I think it was being stressed by drivetrain motion and added some flares but you can be assured that I'll still be keeping a real close eye on it. Hopefully no serious damage was done to the trans but if it was it just adds further incentive to yank the stupid t-flite and get a real tranny in there, we'll give the thing a good work out today and see if there's any issues.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:11
NAXJA Forum User

Compression fittings work fine. I used then when I Tee'd in a tranny temp guage. On the front end Im using 3/8" hose with clamps...