• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 out of Waggy

I've heard that there is an easy fix for the disco D44
just got a non-disco axle shaft at a pull a part and it fit, and where the shift mechanism is on the cover i used a nut and bolt on the front one to close that hole and a brass fitting w/ a nut on the inside to connect a breather hose to, nothing to it
, but couldn't tell you if its worth it.
I would like to know myself as there is one for sale in my local area for $150 for a D44 Axle.

The measurements I took indicated that the driverside shaft is not the same lenght on the Disco as it is on the non-disco. I don't believe it will work.

I THINK that the disconnect is on the driver's side

I THINK that the driver's side splines and carrier are very different so you can't just drop in a non-disco shaft

I THINK that you could use a non-disco shaft if you replaced the carrier also (Detroit maybe :D )

I have never actually seen one of these, but these are some thing that I THINK I remember hearing second (or third) hand.

My Waggy 44 is an 80, meaning no disco :D

The axle would be completely rebuilt. Of COURSE a Detroit, is there any other locker?:D

I admit I don't know much about the axle, but it has drive flanges that I would replace with hubs also. I was just wondering if it was worth $50, plus rebuilding. I figure that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the Warn hub kit for the Dana 30.

if you can in fact swap a non-disco shaft and carrier and be rid of the disco, I say go for it. People talk about how the newer d30s have the same size u-joints blah blah blah, well there is a lot of other great stuff about the 44, my d30 brakes could never lock up 33 if I tried, and I just finished my Waggy 44 and I locked up the 33s several times on accident! also the tubes are 1/2 wall! balljoints, high steer... the list goes on...

Roanoke XJ said:
I thought the vacuum is on the passenger side, therefore, it wouldn't matter about the driver side. Isn't the driver side already a "one" piece axle

I believe we are talking about a Waggy front 44. The disco happens on the pimkin.

mad maXJ said:
and driver's side inner axle shaft. I'm pretty sure this is doable, don't come hunting me down if it doesn't work :D

I won't....it takes effort to be original. New modifications always start out as "I wonder if I could?" Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but you never know unless you try.

Roanoke XJ said:
That would make sense! So if I swap out the ring, pinion, and carrier, then I shouldn't have a problem? How does the pumkin diso work???

Well, I don't believe it will work, so don't look me up. :)

Back