• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake manifold

I dont think anybody makes an aftermarket one. But if you have a 98 or earlier HO you could upgrade to the 99 plus intake manifold for some increased power.

Brian

MN-Cherokee said:
I dont think anybody makes an aftermarket one. But if you have a 98 or earlier HO you could upgrade to the 99 plus intake manifold for some increased power.

Brian
say what??
2xtrouble.jpg

I retract my previous statment. I checked out the site and didnt find a price. Any idea what they retail?

*Edit: I checked again and found out that intake is not in production yet. It says it is a new product. At least I could not find were to buy it.

Also, I dont see how that would work to great. You would need 2 filter set ups and the throttle linkage would have to be modified because the throttle body's are off center. To benefit from that much air you would need a really free flowing exhaust and head. And I think even the best exhausts are still overwhelmed a little by the 62mm bored throttle bodys. IMHO.

Brian

Last edited:
I think two 62mm TB's would be gross overkill even on a 4.6L stroker. I have a 65mm Mustang TB on mine and the throttle response is already very sharp; at times it's actually too sensitive especially at low revs on a very light throttle. The only place I could see a dual TB intake even being necessary is on a super/turbocharged stroker.

Ditto. The gains from two 62's would probably only be noticeable in a built race motor or some type of forced induction setup. Usually after a certain point, all you gain from bigger carbs and what not is top end HP and bragging rights for your setup:) It's common for V-8 guys to swap out dual quads to a single 4bbl and make gains in power and driveability. Contrary, VW engines seem to like huge carb openings, and I still can't figure out why. My buddy has a 2275cc in his bug that runs on dual weber 48's bored to 52mm's. That's one 52 mm throat per individual intake runner! The thing rips! It's suprisingly street driveable too. How does that work? Overkill maybe, but the 12.60 1/4 mile et's back it up. Go figure? I'd be curious as to how well two 62's on a built stroker or force fed unit would work as compared to a single TB.

FUNKYTEE5

Good find none the less. At least more people are experimenting with ideas for the 4.0.

Brian

Hello All:

Question for you guys who have done this, did you use the old or the new fuel injectors and manifold gasket?

anyone looking for a 99+ intake can find them at carparts.com (great prices)

indianaXJ said:
Hello All:

Question for you guys who have done this, did you use the old or the new fuel injectors and manifold gasket?

anyone looking for a 99+ intake can find them at carparts.com (great prices)

The injectors and gasket should swap. I'm not sure if the port sizes on the 99+ gasket will directly swap the older HO head, since the late style has smaller ex ports. They may still use the same gasket? But, I know it works the other way around with the older HO gasket and 99+ intake. At least from what i've seen with my setup:)

FUNKYTEE5

MN-Cherokee said:
But if you have a 98 or earlier HO you could upgrade to the 99 plus intake manifold for some increased power.
Brian

How hard do people think it is to do this upgrade? Is it a Satuday morning job, or more involved than that?

Contrary, VW engines seem to like huge carb openings, and I still can't figure out why. My buddy has a 2275cc in his bug that runs on dual weber 48's bored to 52mm's. That's one 52 mm throat per individual intake runner!
I used to have an original bodied '64 bug with original interior and 135 tires in front, 165's in back. It had a Gene Berg 2278cc motor with dual 2-barrel 48 Webers bored out to 52mm as well. This thing had 1.72" intake and 1.35" exhaust valves with a full match ported and polished from carb to exhaust. It even had dual spark plugs per cylinder! YES it was daily driven, and I have a time slip of 13.28 @ 114 mph (damn skinny tires coudn't hook up). Car was fun as hell, but scared the crap out of me more than once. Way too much power for a 1400lbs car.

Back