• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Trailers Converted for Camping

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking it would be awesome to take a used box trailer and outfit it as a very basic camper. It would pretty much be a rolling box tent with a few mild comforts.

Until I found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKLopDLo9M

Apparently there are people out there who have already converted cargo trailers .... and done a very good job.

I just love the idea of having a smallish trailer to tow to Jeep events. Something that is really simple. No plumbing, water, or stuff like that. Just a couch, a bed, a table, and maybe an extension cord hook up for a 52" HDTV or something like that!!! It would be dry, comfy, and require no set up or take down. Just hook it up and go.

I love it. I want a camper that 1) I can afford, 2) the wife will use, and 3) I can pull with the jeep. Haven't seen much out there, but one of these just might work...

John, that thing is really cool, but there are two reasons why I'd prefer a trailer. 1) I don't want the weight/bulk still on the truck while wheeling, and 2) I want to be able to take it with me if I'm in the XJ or the family car.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

I understand your concerns.. and i wouldnt want that on my wheelin rig either.

But ya could turn the XJ into the wheeler, build the OverlandMJ style and buy another DD.

:D

Knowing about that Wildernest had me seriously considering 99MJ's red 2wd he has for sale.

Sorry for the hi-jack..

I just KNEW you were thinking about that truck .... and its stiiiiiil for sale:spin1:

Here is the king daddy of cargo trailers ..... comes with a crazy high price tag though. But think how freak'n cool this would be to have at Jeep events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8rzeO4I3k

I understand your concerns.. and i wouldnt want that on my wheelin rig either.

But ya could turn the XJ into the wheeler, build the OverlandMJ style and buy another DD.

:D

Knowing about that Wildernest had me seriously considering 99MJ's red 2wd he has for sale.

Sorry for the hi-jack..

Saw this on Craigslist for cheap and thought it might make a sweet little camping trailer .... with a little work.

What do you guys think?

3k83p63o85T75W45P8a3ld9ffe51684551cd9.jpg

3n23m33l25V65T55Pca3lcd165e797c8d1a96.jpg

3p13o03l65T95P75Rba3l5a3a9ce0357017b8.jpg

I turned this:

DSCN1051.jpg

Into this:

DSCN1121.jpg

Into this (not quite finished yet obviously):

DSCN1646.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

Its not exacly the same thing you are talking about, but another idea. I have seen the forums of guys converting the cargos into campers, and there are some very good examples out there. However, if you plan on doing any offroading with it, I would re-consider. Having torn one completely apart, I dont think it will hold up to the twisting/bouncing.flexing etc. My trailer was a fairly well known manufacturer, not one of the cheaply built home depot specials, and I was not impressed. If you dont plan on any offroading, it would be a great way to build a camper!

~ James

James - that is great work!! Seeing that the cargo trailers are built on very basic steel frames makes me think about just getting a flat utility trailer and building up a camper from scratch.

Whatever I build will never see offroad use. It will be strictly for campgrounds and parking lots.

I had to pass on that blue concession trailer ... had a little rust.

trailer%20001.jpg

Back