• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start, fuel pump?

3312DC

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ... stock. 94kish miles

running fine, let it sit for 2-3 hours and wouldnt start. Engine turns, no fuel. Shot some starting fluid in there, and tried to start (only from the fluid)

There is gas in it.

Heres my question. The fuel gauge doesnt work either... looking at a helms manuel, the fuel pump and float are the same assembly? so this makes sence, right. The fuel pump just shit the bed?

Also, my fuel pump is on top of the tank. Can you access it from inside the vehical (is there an access panel in the trunk area?) or do you have to pull the tank.

and how long does this take... to change the pump. can I do it away from my garage? or should I tow it home.

and last question... Thought maybe I blew a fuse.. where is it located? I checked pretty much every fuse in the pass. footwell and under the hood and couldnt find a blown one. I even switched out the fuel pump relay.

Please help!

after doing a little research... my jeep has been stalling at idle every once in a while... maybe 3 times over the last couple months. at a stop light, while i run inside the house with her runing etc. this maybe was a sign of impending fuel pump failure?

Check the relay it self, not the fuse.
The relay could of crapped out.
Cheaper and easier to replace a relay, then a new pump.

jeeperz said:
Check the relay it self, not the fuse.
The relay could of crapped out.
Cheaper and easier to replace a relay, then a new pump.

all the relays under the hood seem to have the same part number, so I switched the pump relay with another... didnt help.

You said your fuel guage is bad.

Have you ever run it out of gas, or really low between fillups?

If so it possible the fuel filter is partially clogged, maybe needs to be changed.

Just trying to give you some trouble shooting ideahs, before you go changing the pump out.

check that the fuel pump is grounded.
the sender grounds through that same ground, could be a common wire that's caused them both to fail.
while down there, make sure you get 12v to the pump as well.

Pull out the relay and look at the little diagram on the side. Find pin 87 and energize that pin of the relay socket with a wire directly from battery + with the relay still out. The pump should make noise. If not, you have a bad power circuit from the relay socket to the pump, bad ground at the pump or a bad pump itself.

If the pump does fire up with that test then you need to look at the primary side of the relay, pins 85 and 86. For the relay to fire one of the pins needs power and one needs ground, doesn't matter which one and I'm not sure off the top of my head which way those are wired. When the key is turned the PCM runs the pump for a couple seconds, so expect either power OR ground to be supplied by the PCM during that timeframe. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
with a 2000, you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump and make sure you get a spanner wrench for the plastic ring that holds the assembly onto the tank.

Turn the key on....do you hear the fuel pump? Do you also have pressure at the fuel rail?

Back