NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #151  
Old June 16th, 2020, 18:16
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
They are, IF you can find one. I looked for months and couldn't find one before finally succumbing to an Atlas.

Same here, I looked for one for a few months too but either they go super quick or someone wants way too much for it, on the other side of the country. Iím trying to convince my wife a little at a time haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old June 16th, 2020, 20:52
GordoSmasho's Avatar
GordoSmasho GordoSmasho is offline
Sierra Chapter President
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia City, NV
Posts: 3,665
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTremp View Post
I want one so bad!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its soooo worth it. And its more than just gearing. Your driveshaft lengths will match so you only need one spare. The main section of the tcase will be in the factory location so you dont have to cut up the floor to make it fit. I didnt cut mine at all and it is only 1 inch below the frame rails.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old June 19th, 2020, 20:00
Rob D's Avatar
Rob D Rob D is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburg CA
Posts: 715
Re: XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTremp View Post
Same here, I looked for one for a few months too but either they go super quick or someone wants way too much for it, on the other side of the country. Iím trying to convince my wife a little at a time haha
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a 242 in my jeep originally and started having issues. So I looked up the price of a brand new 242 case and convinced my wife the extra $300 (at the time) for the Atlas was a much better choice than another 242 "which would end up giving me the same problems".
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:18
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
Its soooo worth it. And its more than just gearing. Your driveshaft lengths will match so you only need one spare. The main section of the tcase will be in the factory location so you dont have to cut up the floor to make it fit. I didnt cut mine at all and it is only 1 inch below the frame rails.

All of that sounds great to me. Iím somewhat concerned since I got the SFR tcase skid and Iím worried it might not fit an Atlas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:19
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
I had a 242 in my jeep originally and started having issues. So I looked up the price of a brand new 242 case and convinced my wife the extra $300 (at the time) for the Atlas was a much better choice than another 242 "which would end up giving me the same problems".

That is a pretty genius plan. Iíll see if I can do something similar. I might have to wait as we might be buying a house in the next month or so lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old September 12th, 2020, 05:40
89Mock 89Mock is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Reno
Posts: 369
XJ axle swap/build

What size output shafts did you go with and what gearing did you pick?
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old September 12th, 2020, 06:02
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
What size output shafts did you go with and what gearing did you pick?

So far I have not made a decision on whether to go atlas or not. I have a roller 04 TJ Rubicon that I am parting out and I am thinking of using the 241OR but Iím having trouble finding a way to hook up the speedo to my Renix Jeep. Iím need to find out if Atlas has a way to use the speedo cable and if so I might sell the 241OR and go atlas. Weíll see. Thanks for checking in, I think Iíd do 1310s and 10:1 or 11:1 gearing since I went with 4.56s in the diffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old September 12th, 2020, 08:02
89Mock 89Mock is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Reno
Posts: 369
Re: XJ axle swap/build

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...-case-builder/

Tech vault
Speedometer Options
Mechanical speedometer housing.

Is the 241OR A 21 or 23 spline?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old September 12th, 2020, 09:38
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...-case-builder/

Tech vault
Speedometer Options
Mechanical speedometer housing.

Is the 241OR A 21 or 23 spline?

Thanks! That was super helpful. Looks like atlas might be a better fit.

I believe theyíre all 23 spline, at least thatís what Iíve heard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old September 12th, 2020, 09:51
GordoSmasho's Avatar
GordoSmasho GordoSmasho is offline
Sierra Chapter President
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia City, NV
Posts: 3,665
XJ axle swap/build

I fully support this. I always suggest getting the 4speed. It will make your front and rear driveshafts the same length so you only need one spare. And the case lands in the same void in the floor as stock so less clearancing is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old September 12th, 2020, 12:54
XJensen's Avatar
XJensen XJensen is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,142
Re: XJ axle swap/build

I love having the 4 speed. The np231 and 4 speed atlas are about 3/4" different if I recall, I can look through my pics if you need to know for sure.

I went with the 5.44 and I would love to see how the higher ratios. If I am in low low and 1st gear it works great in most cases. The 2:1 works great for the easier stuff and rytted dirt roads and sand.

If I were to do anything different I would do the 4 speed with the 4.3. I am interested to see how much better it is on harder stuff like soup or the optional line on slick rock
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old September 12th, 2020, 14:32
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
I fully support this. I always suggest getting the 4speed. It will make your front and rear driveshafts the same length so you only need one spare. And the case lands in the same void in the floor as stock so less clearancing is needed.

That makes things really nice. I have the SFR link mounts and crossmember/tcase skid and itís set up for the Np231j so I think it will work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old September 12th, 2020, 14:35
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJensen View Post
I love having the 4 speed. The np231 and 4 speed atlas are about 3/4" different if I recall, I can look through my pics if you need to know for sure.

I went with the 5.44 and I would love to see how the higher ratios. If I am in low low and 1st gear it works great in most cases. The 2:1 works great for the easier stuff and rytted dirt roads and sand.

If I were to do anything different I would do the 4 speed with the 4.3. I am interested to see how much better it is on harder stuff like soup or the optional line on slick rock

Thanks for the info! Thatís not too bad, might be even easier to install than the NP241OR haha!

Yeah, the 4 speed makes so much sense because of how many options you have with the doubler and the front/rear drive options too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old September 12th, 2020, 16:29
DocTremp DocTremp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 265
XJ axle swap/build

Now I just have to get this thing parted out and sold so I can afford an Atlas maybe



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old September 14th, 2020, 09:45
89Mock 89Mock is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Reno
Posts: 369
Re: XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTremp View Post
Thanks! That was super helpful. Looks like atlas might be a better fit.

I believe theyíre all 23 spline, at least thatís what Iíve heard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damn, I'd need a newer transmission. I was interested until it required me getting a new transmission.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93 XJ BUILD (WITH LS SWAP) 92xjRJ Modified Tech Discussion 89 August 17th, 2020 09:35
93 XJ BUILD (WITH LS SWAP) 92xjRJ Modified Tech Discussion 0 May 5th, 2017 11:21
88 MJ Build / Axle Swap with Q's laxbro37 Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) 3 January 31st, 2017 06:35
My build... long arm lift, JK axle swap, stiffeners, whole 9 yards MfeMorley Modified Tech Discussion 26 January 6th, 2017 14:43
Looking for two build threads...unibody swap and engine swap ffjosh Modified Tech Discussion 19 July 31st, 2012 20:26


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014