• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop Question.

Truthfully its not that hard. Go peep under your Jeep and youll see exactly what you have to do.

1) Remove 4 nuts holding tranny mount to x-member.
2) Support TC or Tranny with jackstand
3) Remove 4 bolts from frame rails (2 on either side of the crossmember)
4) Drop Crossmember.
5) Put new bolts in with spacers.
6) Assemble.
7) Enjoy.

Besides that PB Blaster would help if you sprayed it on maybe a day in advanced, especially if you have a rusty underside.

Also, be careful with the bolts on the frame rails. They have been known to strip/break/etc...

If that does happen youll just have to drill out the holes and tap it to a new bolt size. (7/16" IIRC).

HTH.

Mine had one bolt and a stud on each side. I just used a pair of vice grips to remove the stud. I had to tighten the vice VERY tight to be able to grasp the stud.

I have a 1 inch drop kit that I pulled out of my truck.. sitting in a ziplock bag. It could just as easily be sitting in the mail if ya like.

I would suggest no matter what kit you get check to make sure the bolts supplied go far enough into the frame rail. The ones i got with my skycrapper kit were too short and I didnt realize it until the crossmember dropped during a trail run. Also you may want to upgrade to grade 8 hardware.

I would suggest no matter what kit you get check to make sure the bolts supplied go far enough into the frame rail. The ones i got with my skycrapper kit were too short and I didnt realize it until the crossmember dropped during a trail run. Also you may want to upgrade to grade 8 hardware.

oh shit.. that would suck. Yeah my 1 inch kit comes with bolts that are about 1 inch longer, heh.

Well made a couple trial spacers from 1"x1"x1/8"wall square tube and snagged 4-10x45mm bolts before I left work today. I hope I didn't do anything wrong by getting this done the easy way. I removed both bolts (one frome each side) Then I installed the 45mm long bolts in those holes. Then I removed the two nuts from the studs. I then lowered the crossmember by loosening the two new, longer bolts till the cross member was about 1.25" below the frame. Then I removed the studs with vise grips. Installed the spacer on one bolt, tighten it till it supported the weight of the cross member, removed the other bolt that was supporting it and swung the spacer around till that hole aligned and re-installed that bolt and repeated the process on the other side. No jack or stands. I know I trusted the threads on two bolts to support the weight of it all but it worked. Thanks for all the replies and not telling me to search (which I did) ;) ......Al

BTW....... This fixed the vib and now I have a happy XJ...:clap::clap::clap::clap:
:party:

X2, if you are going to be doing a lot of 'hard' wheeling you will want to delete the drop kit asap. I put the drop in and it was a thorn on my side last time out, kept getting hung up when others would not. If it is going to be mostly street and easy go for it. IMHO though.

Was trying to find out the size of the bolt. Is it 10mm 1.5 pitch? Do you think with a 1" square tubing a 2" bolt would work?

Was thinking of using this method.. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTCdrop.htm

Like others, just researching before getting started...

Thanks..
Yup - They are M10x1.50 - the length is more vague since the extra length goes up into the "frame" void anyway. I had overly-long 50mm bolts holding mine in place with the t-case drop, and just screwed them back in place when I put an SYE on and lost the spacers.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/tcase.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back